Changes to the Reaction System - 📰​​​​​​​ News & Announcements - Kinmunity Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Changes to the Reaction System

Heyo,

Today, we decided to change up the reaction/reputation system a bit to help prevent abuse of the system. Previously, Like reacts contributed +1 to a user’s overall reputation, which while not harmful on its own, did sort of blur the lines between “quality, relevant content worth repping” and “hey this post is cool,” which in turn made it hard to judge what a fair reputation was. The intent behind a reaction system is to allow people to react as naturally as they want to to a piece of content, and we don’t want to stifle that. However, we also want to place importance on the increasing of a user’s reputation, and what it means to the site and the community they’re a part of.

In order to allow people to react to content, with no connection to reputation, we’ve changed the Like reaction to add neither positive nor negative reputation. You can like or dislike to your heart’s content, and neither will affect the other person’s reputation. You should use this as your go-to reaction the overwhelming majority of the time.

The newer “love” reaction is intended to be a reaction, available to any user, that basically says “this piece of content is outstanding, well-written, or gets the point across well,” and as is on its description, is the regular user equivalent of the Winner rating. This reaction should not be given out for your average post, kept mostly to discussion threads. You can use your discretion on usage outside of this, but please keep in mind the intent behind this rating, since we don't want to be sticklers, but we do want to make sure it's used appropriately.

We may still make some changes to this as we tweak it, but hopefully this provides some clarity on proper usage of the reaction and reputation system, as well as the thought behind each one and their purpose. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

- panthera onca -

In the week since I've been here, I have noticed that there's significantly less diversity in the types of ratings typically given than I remember seeing on old Kinmunity. I'm interested in seeing how this change might influence that.

• Like 1

Dragon/Spirit - AMA Thread

I understand the intent behind this change, but honestly the way this was implemented was extremely unfair and a massive jerk move imo.

Why remove everyone's reputation that they got from previous like reactions they received? Just because some of those comments/posts that got liked didn't meet your very niche idea of what "quality content" is, doesn't mean that all of them didn't. Those people still deserved praise and recognition for their content and that shouldn't have been taken away. Clearly someone gave likes to those post for a reason, and that deserves to be recognized even now that this change has been made. If this was done in such a way that everyone got to keep their past reputation, but the reactions and their respective reputation gains/losses were changed going forward, maybe this wouldn't be so bad. But as it stands, this really doesn't seem fair and I can't say I approve of it. 

Decent taste I guess, but terrible execution.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* "𝓞𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓼𝓹𝓲𝓻𝓲𝓽, 𝓵𝓸𝓸𝓴 𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝓶𝔂 𝓮𝔂𝓮𝓼..." *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

CanIchangeThisNow.gif.3cc132fc36ffefb29c4d6749edcd9e2e.gif

7 minutes ago, Effervescent-Daydream said:

I understand the intent behind this change, but honestly the way this was implemented was extremely unfair and a massive jerk move imo.

Why remove everyone's reputation that they got from previous like reactions they received? Just because some of those comments/posts that got liked didn't meet your very niche idea of what "quality content" is, doesn't mean that all of them didn't. Those people still deserved praise and recognition for their content and that shouldn't have been taken away. Clearly someone gave likes to those post for a reason, and that deserves to be recognized even now that this change has been made. If this was done in such a way that everyone got to keep their past reputation, but the reactions and their respective reputation gains/losses were changed going forward, maybe this wouldn't be so bad. But as it stands, this really doesn't seem fair and I can't say I approve of it. 

Honestly, they probably just took off reputation from Likes in certain subforums, as a matter of fact. Not as a attack on the quality of a user themselves. I didn't lose any reputations, and I honestly think the way it was implemented before was not very good at it favored saying what others wanted to hear, or simply liked versus quality of content.

You're allowed to be upset, but I don't really see it as a bad thing at all, I think it was done very well, and in a very fair manner. I doubt they went through manually and twirled their moustaches while they dragged down reputations.

//Fenrir//

The Knight Of The Shining Emperor-King
             The Dark Thief Of Knowledge ~ The Bound Beast Of Predation ~ The Paradox Loremaster ~ The Digital God Of The Black Waters

3 minutes ago, KnightFenrirWulfhart said:

Honestly, they probably just took off reputation from Likes in certain subforums, as a matter of fact. Not as a attack on the quality of a user themselves. I didn't lose any reputations, and I honestly think the way it was implemented before was not very good at it favored saying what others wanted to hear, or simply liked versus quality of content.

Hmm. Odd, because I lost maybe about 200 or so. This was a massive hit for me. They really should have at least been more transparent about how they did this imo. 😕 

Just now, Effervescent-Daydream said:

Hmm. Odd, because I lost maybe about 200 or so. This was a massive hit for me. They really should have at least been more transparent about how they did this imo. 😕 

Well I'm pretty sure they took off reactions in the Chit Chat subforum of the Forest. So all reputation gained from there was probably automatically deducted as a result. I think. I was pretty sure that Fun and Games was the only subforum that used to not have Reactions, so that's my guess.

//Fenrir//

The Knight Of The Shining Emperor-King
             The Dark Thief Of Knowledge ~ The Bound Beast Of Predation ~ The Paradox Loremaster ~ The Digital God Of The Black Waters

2 minutes ago, KnightFenrirWulfhart said:

Well I'm pretty sure they took off reactions in the Chit Chat subforum of the Forest. So all reputation gained from there was probably automatically deducted as a result. I think. I was pretty sure that Fun and Games was the only subforum that used to not have Reactions, so that's my guess.

I think reaction in chit chat have been gone for a while. ^^; 

1 hour ago, Effervescent-Daydream said:

We have discussed this matter in length in private messages before. You were receiving massive amounts of reputation points from users on the same network, and even the SAME DEVICE as you. I went through the "top 10" reputation users and adjusted those who received a significant amount of their reputation points from suspicious sources, or who received a considerable amount of likes in contrast to the other positive scores. This was done in order to balance the system and be fair to those who contribute high quality content. It is not a fair system when relatives or alternate accounts grant reputation to short posts with little discussion value. Speaking very bluntly; the activity on your account was consistent with abuse of the system, and could have resulted in forfeiture of all your reputation points. This was not done, you were simply adjusted to a fair number.

We are currently attempting to issue recounts for the entire site now that likes are neutral reputation points, so you'll likely notice changes in other user accounts (including my own) in the coming days. We will also be including rules for the rating system in our site guidelines to help clarify any confusion that people may have. These changes (along with previous changes, such as restricting reputation in certain areas) were made in response to user feedback, specifically about users and their friends "gaming the system" without having the content quality to back it up. Kinmunity is a resource, not a clique or club for friend groups. Hope this explanation helps!

• Like 2

Naia "Shiro" Ōkami (keybase)
Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Naia said:

We have discussed this matter in length in private messages before. You were receiving massive amounts of reputation points from users on the same network, and even the SAME DEVICE as you. It is not a fair system when relatives or alternate accounts grant reputation to short posts with little discussion value. Speaking very bluntly; the activity on your account was consistent with abuse of the system, and could have resulted in forfeiture of all your reputation points. This was not done, you were simply adjusted to a fair number.

Yes, we have discussed this in length, and you gave me the impression that this was no longer an issue or being viewed as unfair. If this was still causing a problem or being seen as unfair I would have appreciated being told this while the discussion was still going on. I could have asked them to stop and this would not have continued as long as it did. I was under the impression that this was no longer an issue and no further action was necessary.

Edited by Effervescent-Daydream
  • WTF!? 1

@Effervescent-Daydream I would like to add that I’ve had gripes with the reaction system and its ties to the reputation system for a while, and outside of abuse, I felt that having likes be a completely free action without affecting anything else was a good way to encourage people to use the reaction system without worrying if they were misusing it (Because I was one of those people who would worry every time I wanted to “like” something).

Just so you know that this change wasn’t purely out of prevention of abuse. It’s to the benefit of everyone who wants to react to posts without worry.

- panthera onca -

2 minutes ago, Jethero said:

I felt that having likes be a completely free action without affecting anything else was a good way to encourage people to use the reaction system without worrying if they were misusing it.

Just so you know that this change wasn’t purely out of prevention of abuse. It’s to the benefit of everyone who wants to react to posts without worry.

That I can get behind. I actually really like the sentiment behind this change. ^-^ As I said previously, I suppose it was just the alteration of already existing reputations that rubbed me the wrong way a bit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Effervescent-Daydream said:

That I can get behind. I actually really like the sentiment behind this change. ^-^ As I said previously, I suppose it was just the alteration of already existing reputations that rubbed me the wrong way a bit. 

Totally understandable. The intent behind that was less to flat out remove reputation but rather recalculate all reputation to the new settings for likes. Everyone’s reputation will go down, but hopefully it makes reputation feel more meaningful.

We’ve been having some technical issues with it being recalculated, though, but we’re working on it. By the end of everything I’m expecting myself to have 5 rep

- panthera onca -

2 minutes ago, Jethero said:

Totally understandable. The intent behind that was less to flat out remove reputation but rather recalculate all reputation to the new settings for likes. Everyone’s reputation will go down, but hopefully it makes reputation feel more meaningful.

We’ve been having some technical issues with it being recalculated, though, but we’re working on it. By the end of everything I’m expecting myself to have 5 rep

Hope it gets sorted out! 😄 

• Like 1

I think that it’s great that the reputation system is being revamped! However if I may, many high quality posts like articles, long and informative posts, great advice, stunning art, and beautiful photos that others have posted have gotten more likes than anything! It may do more harm than good to erase the reputation points from those high quality posts than anything, since many have worked so hard on them, however that’s just my take on it!... I guess there are no worries either way!... ^.=.^

• Like 1