SilentSynthesis

Dumb things you thought as a kid.

This thread always gets plenty of laughs on FP, so I've been meaning to see how it rolls over with Kinmunity. Finally got around to it.

Well, thread title is self explanatory, just try as hard as you can to dredge up those distant childhood memories and along with it all the completely asinine things you believed to be true as a child, either from your own imagination or stuff your parents told you to keep you out of trouble. Most common ones are probably "girls pee from their butts" and "they have to re-shoot the movie every time it plays on the tv"

Shiro    434

I forget why, but for a significant period of time in my elementary school years, I used to believe that cats and dogs were the same species, and that cats were "girls" and dogs were "boys".

• High Quality 5

I forget why, but for a significant period of time in my elementary school years, I used to believe that cats and dogs were the same species, and that cats were "girls" and dogs were "boys".

Forgot to add that in the op, that's like the third most common one.

Farkas    208

When I was younger, I always thought that the higher you got, the hotter it got up until you hit the sky, when you would hit the sun and burn up

• High Quality 1

PinkTitanium    14

When I was a kid i thought someone manually operated traffic lights from a building window nearby, and never understood why they would make us sit at a red light when no cars were coming lol.

• High Quality 5

Elvode    38

When I was watching TV with my parents, I asked my dad how the people inside the TV can fit in there and where they go when we turn the TV off and how it works with switching people inside the TV when changing channel.

Hexagoner    16

I firmly believed as a child that the moon simply could not exist during the daytime, and if you saw it during the day it was clearly a fake moon. A devious imposter moon! I also believed that the reason far off mountains seemed to not move when you were driving was because they running REALLY FAST beside you on a million little feet wearing red shoes and it created the illusion of them not moving.

• High Quality 5

BirdMonster    178

Hmmm...I guess I didn't really believe silly things like that really. I used to believe in a lot of horror stories though. They scared me so much that I now have the instinct to not sit on the bed facing the doorway or else the candyman will get me.

St Claire    120

Hmm, my mum was a pretty sensible person, and she always made sure I knew how the world worked, so I didn't really have any beliefs like that. I guess the closest thing for me was whenever I heard people talking about someone cracking their skull open I imagined baked beans spilling out of their heads.

Sevesh    1

I remember believing that bats lived in every attic and were just hiding whenever you came around so you wouldn't move them out. Also I remember thinking that the reason that some wires in electrical lines were thicker was so the birds had a place to huddle up together during cold days, like they were designed especially for that.

• High Quality 1

Elvode    38

The large hay balls you can see on fields wrapped in white plastic, I thought they were never melting snowballs during the summer.

I also thought dolls were evil creatures coming alive at night to haunt us all and walk around the house, but they were nice and none living during the day.

This seems fun. Well, when I was small I was really into dinosaurs and that sort of stuff. I lived in a place called Marysville and it was out in the bush, I thkught every knobbly tree root sticking out of the ground was a bone. Also my mum used to tell me, and I believed her at the time, watching too much tv turned your eyes square.

I remember I thought eleventeen was a number, and my friend convinced me I invented it and had to call the number people and let them know about it.

Oh god, my sister did the exact same thing. Convinced me George Bush had ordained a new number, "More", between 3 and 4. I made a few horrible math grades.

I was 6 or so and I had my first case of really bad gas which caused stomach pain and bloating. For some reason I immeadiately thought it must mean I'm going to have a baby...like right now XD. After all, all those ladies I saw had stomachs that poked out and looked like they had stomach pain, then they had babies right after! I ran to my dad telling him to take me to the hospital because my stomach hurts really bad and I'm having a baby lol. He told me "Wha...boy, you can't have a baby" I remember him laughing really hard. He sat me down and explained "having gas" and how babies are made..all of it. Yep...I learned early.:laughwolf:

• High Quality 3

Once on my birthday (either my sixth or seventh) after my mom had lit the candles and I had blown them out, I thought the candles were edible and tried to eat them...needless to say I never tried again.

Seraphim    0

When I was very young, I used to think that if I ever dangled my feet over the edge of my bed at night, demons would come and grab my feet and drag me to hell.

(Just typing that made me wonder how I even got to that conclusion... I blame it on my very strict Catholic school hahahaha)

AshenFall    406

@Seraphim I used to think something like that too, haha. That the monsers would grab me if I left my feet dangling out of the covers! And that there was a sleeping creature living in the attic that would wake up if I burped too loudly (I honestly don't know where that one came from).

I also used to genuinely believe that before they made colour TV that the world was actually black and white like in the old movies. I used to wonder what it would be like seeing everything in greyscale.

And also, up until I was about 10 years old I was completely petrifed of labels on clothing, towels, anything. I don't remember why, but just the sight of them made me scream and run away, my parents had to cut labels off absolutely everything or I'd bream down into tears. Still makes me laugh looking back on it.