Updates (07/21/2019) - 📰​​​​​​​ News & Announcements - Kinmunity Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

It may seem like we haven't been doing much over the last month or so, but that couldn't be further from the truth. This update has a ton of new features for you guys and gives the site some much needed TLC.

New Features

• Status updates have returned; you can now post status updates on your profile and leave messages on others' profiles. The reaction system IS enabled for statuses -- because doesn't somebody being helpful deserve to be rewarded, regardless of what section of the site they're on? Please do not abuse this - like and dislike reactions are neutral and should be used in most circumstances.
  • Friendly profile URLs have been enabled. Your profile URL will be updated when you logout and back in, or when you edit your profile. Instead of requiring a user ID (ex. https://www.kinmunity.com/profile/1.naia), your username will simply be your URL (ex. https://www.kinmunity.com/profile/naia) - you're welcome!
  • Our Discord bot is now linked with #stdc on mibbit - you can participate in the "Serious Therianthropy Discussion Chats" simply by joining #ehowl on our Discord server when it is time. You're welcome!
  • The groundwork for user-to-user instant messaging has been laid. You will soon be able to send instant messages to your friends using our global chat system, similar to the style you're familiar with from Facebook and Tumblr. Old Kinmunity had this feature, but it was largely disjointed and disintegrated with the site. This implementation integrates tightly with the site and its theme. Oh, and you can also have chat rooms open alongside IMs example below:

test3.pngu2u.png

Changed Features

• We've changed the way KinSpots and Howls work. You need to be auto-confirmed to submit content in either area, plus you now need to be eighteen years old or older to post in the Howls forum or post a KinSpot. This is to help protect minors in the community.
  • You can now be in multiple chat rooms at once when using our global site instant messaging system.
  • We're working on making our Help Documentation more robust and informative.

Bug Fixes

• A ton of speed and stability fixes have been applied; this will make the site run smoother and faster.
  • Several visual inconsistencies around the site have been fixed.
  • Like 5

Naia "Shiro" Ōkami (keybase)
Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

Thanks so much, Naia, those are great additions! One question about the "Serious Therianthropy Discussion Chat" on Discord: Am I right that in order to say something there, we need to use a certain escape sequence? I tried last time, but I got the impression that the message was not relayed.

Western Guardian Dragon

1 hour ago, Amber said:

Thanks so much, Naia, those are great additions! One question about the "Serious Therianthropy Discussion Chat" on Discord: Am I right that in order to say something there, we need to use a certain escape sequence? I tried last time, but I got the impression that the message was not relayed.

This shouldn't be needed, no. The messages sent to #ehowl on Discord should automatically be relayed. The STDC is moderated, and occasionally our bot on Mibbit's side may be muted while the host introduces the topics of discussion at hand. There may also be a cut off after a certain number of characters, but I have configured it to 'chunk' these into multiple messages. If you are experiencing issues and messages seem not to be getting relayed, please DM me on Discord and we'll sort it out.

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

So it's cool to see my username in a picture by the site admin, and I'm not even in trouble! I feel cool! :CoolFlip:

I'm glad you are changing the Howls and Kinspots features, though I have to ask why even have the Kinspots feature. It seem... I don't know... potentially dangerous. I mean why does that even need to be a thing? I mean I saw someone who put their home address. Even cities or towns seems far to traceable. 

I guess I don't understand the purpose behind the feature, and why it's rewarded to put your location up for other members to see. Considering I've been told repeatedly that we need to be safe, and respectful because minors are here, but then they are putting their real first names (sometimes) and some are putting their cities and towns down for others to see. I know it's not mandatory, but you do get bones for doing it, which is basically rewarding what could be used to trace and cyber stalk someone. If minors are so seceptable to bad language, why are they allowed to essentially broadcast their homes irl? All it takes is one crazy person, and bam! they could get enough information from that information to potentially find them. 

Since you're keeping it (Though I really don't understand why and would appreciate someone explaining to me how the benefits outweigh the potential abuse and danger) I think it should be over 18 just like the Howls. 

Regardless, good work as always on the update, and again, cool to see my username up there in a not bad manner! 

//Fenrir//

The Knight Of The Shining Emperor-King
             The Dark Thief Of Knowledge ~ The Bound Beast Of Predation ~ The Paradox Loremaster ~ The Digital God Of The Black Waters

1 hour ago, KnightFenrirWulfhart said:

So it's cool to see my username in a picture by the site admin, and I'm not even in trouble! I feel cool! :CoolFlip:

I'm glad you are changing the Howls and Kinspots features, though I have to ask why even have the Kinspots feature. It seem... I don't know... potentially dangerous. I mean why does that even need to be a thing? I mean I saw someone who put their home address. Even cities or towns seems far to traceable. 

I guess I don't understand the purpose behind the feature, and why it's rewarded to put your location up for other members to see. Considering I've been told repeatedly that we need to be safe, and respectful because minors are here, but then they are putting their real first names (sometimes) and some are putting their cities and towns down for others to see. I know it's not mandatory, but you do get bones for doing it, which is basically rewarding what could be used to trace and cyber stalk someone. If minors are so seceptable to bad language, why are they allowed to essentially broadcast their homes irl? All it takes is one crazy person, and bam! they could get enough information from that information to potentially find them. 

Since you're keeping it (Though I really don't understand why and would appreciate someone explaining to me how the benefits outweigh the potential abuse and danger) I think it should be over 18 just like the Howls. 

Regardless, good work as always on the update, and again, cool to see my username up there in a not bad manner! 

As has been said in various places, Kinspots are good for visualizing how many Therians or Otherkin are near to you, especially for the purposes of meet ups. Adults should be allowed to post their location for this purpose, and I see nothing wrong with the Kinspots. It’s up to the individual to take the risk with putting their general location, which while I can understand concern for people putting their real locations, is again, up to the individual. If you have concern over a minor putting their actual address however, you can PM a mod and mention it to them and we can handle it.

1 hour ago, KnightFenrirWulfhart said:

As has been said in various places, Kinspots are good for visualizing how many Therians or Otherkin are near to you, especially for the purposes of meet ups. Adults should be allowed to post their location for this purpose, and I see nothing wrong with the Kinspots. It’s up to the individual to take the risk with putting their general location, which while I can understand concern for people putting their real locations, is again, up to the individual. If you have concern over a minor putting their actual address however, you can PM a mod and mention it to them and we can handle it.

I could see the age being bumped to 18+ for both though.

• Like 1

- panthera onca -

10 hours ago, KnightFenrirWulfhart said:

9 hours ago, Jethero said:

I could see the age being bumped to 18+ for both though.

I agree with you both. Minors putting their full address as KinSpots is not acceptable and it puts their privacy and safety at risk. We discourage anyone from posting of anything more than city / state in our KinSpots system, including our adult users. Essentially, we feel that city/state is information that people probably already have on their Facebook or other social media profiles for public view. However, because of repeated incidents with minors posting too much information about themselves in the system, we have raised the age requirement to post a KinSpot to 18+.

We have also updated our help documents to reflect the new age requirement and removed the "Post a KinSpot" step from the new member checklist. 

• Like 5

All KinSpots posted by minors have been removed. If you're a minor who previously posted a KinSpot, feel free to re-add once you're 18+.

- panthera onca -

Awesome job with all of the changes team! However, I am always a bit wary of any feature that allows a person to display their location and address, and even a vague location. It’s not just minors that are vulnerable by any means, anyone, no matter how old or who they are can be targeted by a dangerous person with malicious intent. Even if an adult wants to add their location voluntarily, it is still a risky thing to do, as you wouldn’t post your location on any other social media platform or website now would you? No matter what, location and personal information should always remain private for safety and security reasons. Trolls and raiders can also access the addresses as well, so it’s just something to think about! Still though, awesome job on the changes! ^.=.^

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, LunastreDraconis said:

Awesome job with all of the changes team! However, I am always a bit wary of any feature that allows a person to display their location and address, and even a vague location. It’s not just minors that are vulnerable by any means, anyone, no matter how old or who they are can be targeted by a dangerous person with malicious intent. Even if an adult wants to add their location voluntarily, it is still a risky thing to do, as you wouldn’t post your location on any other social media platform or website now would you? No matter what, location and personal information should always remain private for safety and security reasons. Trolls and raiders can also access the addresses as well, so it’s just something to think about! Still though, awesome job on the changes! ^.=.^

I mean, that's really the risk with putting your general location on any site, is it not?

That being said, we could discuss removing KinSpots that use a user's actual address.

• Like 1

- panthera onca -