Making Inquiry boards easier to find - ✅​​​​​​​ Implemented Suggestions - Kinmunity Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Making Inquiry boards easier to find

As it's come to my attention, many folks want to make things such as studies, reports, and even films on us. As it seems, however, they often tend to misplace themselves due to missing the rule board for such things. I think moving it somewhere easier to find would help this a great deal. You may argue "But Pearl! It's right there in the drop down!" Yes, it is. But I'll be honest, our dropdown takes a while to learn. It did for me anyway. And without it being immediately visible, some may assume there are no such guidelines.

I'm thinking of putting up a banner on the non-logged in home page, and perhaps the registration page. Something saying along the lines of "want to survey? Click here for guidelines!" or the sort. I feel such an implementation would clear any confusion and accidental rule breakers if put into motion. Thanks for consideration!

-Pearl Connor

Hybrid Ink Being

Happily taken by Bendy himself

Follow my Blog!

I'm going to disagree. I think that any person legitimately looking for information on otherkin/therians/alterhumans in general is almost certainly going to check the drop-down menu before making an account and immediately requesting information and interviews with members. I think that, when someone is claiming to be curious (and seeking to make some sort of documentary/work of media/paper on us) jumping right into asking individuals for interviews instead of reading through the many public resources available is a bit of a red flag. Even if somebody is here in good faith, when told "hey, we have a process here for this, you should take a look at it", they should be able to go "oh, my bad, let me do that".

In my experience (both on Kinmunity- that recent thread- and elsewhere), the people who don't read the site thoroughly enough tend not to act like that. They think they should be exempt to the policy, that what they're doing is so little and so harmless that it doesn't matter. People shouldn't be offended being told that there are certain rules for media/academic requests, and I don't think we should accommodate those people.

That being said, I think what I dislike most is the idea of a "banner". I would be in favor of adding a little section about the media and academic request process to the guidelines that people are supposed to read before joining. It might even be a decent idea to add the links to the "Resources" section of the navigation bar in addition to the "Info" section, just to catch those few people who maybe forget to look under "Info" for some reason or another. But I don't think it should be too visible- I don't think it should look like Kinmunity is actually advocating or asking for those media requests.

I know that I would love to see a documentary that addressed otherkinity and therianthropy respectfully and accurately. I would love to see a book with otherkin/therian characters that treats it fairly. But that's not what sells, and not what people are really trying to make. Look at what's on TV- stuff like Dr. Phil, Maury, reality TV in general (that's a very Americentric list, I know, but I'm not super sure what the rest of the world's equivalents are). People love looking at people who are weirder than them and laughing and being able to think "well at least I'm not that bad!". Otherkin would be excellent fodder for that- look at cringe compilations, which try to accomplish pretty much the same thing. That's why media requests are treated with such suspicion- that sort of thing is typically what people making media requests are after, not what we would actually like to see.

I realize that was a little dramatic, and didn't exactly address the point of why I don't think a "banner" would be a good idea, so I'll go back to that. From what I've seen, people who are making requests in good faith don't really have a problem finding the correct information. There was a researcher I spoke to last week (who had posted an academic request on a different website which I contacted her through) who seemed to have had no problem finding Kinmunity's academic request process.

I don't think making the academic/media request process more visibly to prevent accidental rule-breakers is necessary, because those accidental rule-breakers should be able to say "okay, sorry, let me do that" when they're pointed to the proper process. I think it's telling that, at least in my experience, most of them do not react that way. Making the academic/media process more visible may have the negative side effect of looking like the site actually encourages those things, which could potentially put off new members who are wary of those things. I just don't think it's necessary.

This post turned out far longer than I expected, and I apologize for that, so I'll just summarize the main points. I think most of the people who are here because they're actually interested in otherkin go through enough of the site that they rarely miss the academic/media pages. Even if they do miss it, they should be willing to go through the proper process when pointed to it. Maybe add a link to and mention of the academic/media requests in the site guidelines, just so if someone tries to skip it it's obvious that they didn't even read through the rules, but I think something highly visible like a banner could give off the wrong impression.

Dragon/Spirit - AMA Thread

@Thaleena sure, but our drop downs don't exactly give the best summary of what they contain, and our site is a little difficult to navigate, especially to newer members. It took me a while to learn it.

And do we really want to redirect everyone who misses such things under the circumstances? Think, it'll make more work for the mods, seeing as they'd have to go through deleting the thread of the mislead one.

And actually, I think we should advocate for having reports and documentaries done. If we want acceptance, its onw of the only ways to get it. Hiding such things away doesn't seem to friendly, and I don't think we're a rude community. 

I just think it should somehow be made easier to find. 

Hybrid Ink Being

Follow my Blog!

We welcome academic research and are completely open to it, provided information about ethics approval is provided to me or a member of our management team. We are rather skeptical towards the media and those making documentaries, for obvious reasons:

Our resources exist for the good of our own community, and it would be inappropriate to have advertisements soliciting researchers and media people on the home page of our site.

• Like 1

Naia "Shiro" Ōkami (keybase)
Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

@Naia I didn't specifically mean advertisement, just making the bit a little easier to find. As I said, site navigation can be difficult.

Hybrid Ink Being

Follow my Blog!

I will say I’m not opposed to making the links to our media inquiries docs more prominent for people creating new accounts, but I haven’t made an account in a long time anyway haha. But that way they at least see the information they should see first, rather than having all of them just make accounts and posts about it without ever contacting staff. I feel like most people doing so don’t anticipate Kin websites to have a page dedicated to media inquiries, but I don’t have that job so I wouldn’t know.

- panthera onca -

People seem to find and use the "Contact Us" option on the bottom of the site. I feel like I should just add a blurb there about media contact and academic contact. 

Update: As suggested, this has been implemented. I opted to make it part of the "Contact Us" form. People seem to have no issue finding that.

additions.png

• Like 2

Naia "Shiro" Ōkami (keybase)
Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!