Welcome to Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an online community resource for otherkin, therianthropes, the other-hearted, vampires, plural systems, and others with non-human identities. By signing up, you'll be able to participate in the largest and most active otherkin community on the internet. We provide forums, personal profiles, blogs, an image gallery, and a live chatroom to our registered members. Signing up is really fast, why not join us? All are welcome on Kinmunity!

Norintha

Are you ever too old to read YA novels?

I've heard different opinions on how old you have to be to read YA (Young Adult) novels. I hear a lot of people saying that its not ok to read them because they are focused to teenagers and not adults. I personally love YA novels. I think some of them are very creative and fun to read. What do you guys think?

The people saying you can be too old to read YA novels are boring. Granted there are different levels of YA, and novels aimed at early teens may not hold an adults attention as well as one aimed at older teens. But, the ones aimed at mid-to-late teens often contain themes and scenarios that are commonly found in adult lit. The lines between YA and adult are very blurred, and what is actually considered YA is often very subjective. I've often found that YA authors have more freedom with what they are allowed to do, which allows for much richer storytelling (especially in fantasy genres).

So in short, no, I don't think you can be too old to enjoy YA novels.

P.S. This is coming from someone doing a PhD in literature, focusing specifically on YA lit.

My friends and I all ranging from 20-30 years old still read YA books and some of our favorites are YA, I almost bet you that the people that tell you you're too old to be reading those book probably also think cartoons are also for kids; age shouldn't dictate what you like and what you don't, as an example they are publishing adult coloring books now.

Can you be too old to like Pokemon? Can you be too old to play video games? I disagree with the notion of being "too old" to consume certain media. It's about as stupid as gender stereotyping.

Some of my favourite books are classed as YA, I agree with St Claire in that I think that YA authors do have more freedom and as a result I find the stories more interesting. So no I don't think you can be too old for YA.

Some of my favorite works of literature are contained within the Young Adult area. My all-time favorite book series, The Nine Lives of Chloe King, lies dormant within it, awaiting its next newest rabid fan. As per the link, there was also a TV Show based on it but that's neither here nor there.

I'm probably just speaking from first impressions though. First impressions are still everything, and all the fond feelings we have come from them. It's no surprise people still love the Young Adult section's contents.