Welcome to Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an online community resource for otherkin, therianthropes, the other-hearted, vampires, plural systems, and others with non-human identities. By signing up, you'll be able to participate in the largest and most active otherkin community on the internet. We provide forums, personal profiles, blogs, an image gallery, and a live chatroom to our registered members. Signing up is really fast, why not join us? All are welcome on Kinmunity!

Rome

News about Otherkin... Falsely Represented?

I read that quite a while back, but I wouldn't get myself too worked up by it if I were you. Vice aren't exactly quality news material, or factually correct.

Interesting comments on the article.

There are however a lot better resources to use for articles, it's kind of new so I didn't really expect it to be "old school".

Rarely are any sort of documentaries, articles, etc. about otherkin accurate. They are all striving for ratings, etc. so try to be as sensationalized as possible.

All major media has falsely represented otherkin, so this is nothing new. I honestly stopped caring a long time ago.

As a media student myself, I have learned that trusting media-whether written or filmed-is not the best decision. As Seraphyna said, all media wants is ratings because better ratings means more money. Media will write what the public wants, not what they need to hear. Unless they have a credible history of releasing factual articles, don't trust any media sources...and even then, be wary.

What the others said are pretty much accurate. The majority of written articles or recorded videos about us are sensationalized or done for "shock value" or to entertain, more so than inform. I always get the impression that there are subtle undertones of mockery, or "we can't believe these people the way they are that they are, let's all gawk at them like circus animals" ... or something to that effect, anyway.

That, and Vice is pretty much known for being the rough equivalent of "there's no quality control and anyone can write/produce whatever the hell they want," for their network, so. Grain of salt, people.

- Liquid Ocelot