whats your opinion on gear? - 💬​​​​​​​ Chit Chat - Kinmunity Jump to content

I don't care much about it. Don't think it looks great, don't think it looks ugly, don't really care. I guess I kind of get how people say that it makes them feel more like their kintype? but when I dress to make myself feel more kin-y I typically do things like turtlenecks and scarves to simulate neck feathers, longer stuff I can feel moving in the wind, that kind of stuff. 

Also, I don't think I've ever seen avian gear. I really only see canines, specifically large wild dogs. I'm kind of curious; if anyone has some pictures hmu with them. I just can't think of how birdie things would work without being too big? Maybe a tail, but a beak or wings would be big and possibly uncomfortable to wear around all day.

I like having gear around. I've had a collar for around six months and wear it all the time. I recently got a tail, but I don't wear it much. I braid feathers into my hair sometimes but I'm usually to lazy to do my hair at all.

I have a collar, that I just realized would probably be considered Gear. I don't wear it that often, my partner gets 

I don't personally like Tails and Ears, not really because they look that bad or anything, but because I have a phantom tail/ears and I think the sort of ones there are right now wouldn't make me happy, because I wouldn't be able to feel them and move them around like I think about doing without thinking. I've thought about maybe trying out Elon Musk's Neuralink and seeing what would happen if you hooked up a remote control tail to one of them so that way you can just control it by thinking. My hypothesis is that the part of the brain that evolutionarily would have controlled tail behavior in early monkeis might still be in Human brains, so having a way to actually send 'tail signals' to From a brain-computer interface to an actual tail would be really nice.

As Vultyre said above, there isn't much in the way of avian gear. Should I get a leather strap and tie it around my ankle or a leather hat that slips over my eyes with a ridiculous feather sticking out of the top? That would be a hawk's version of a collar and those sound very unappealing. Also I'd trip and have trouble seeing. And then there's the the idea of wearing the shackles of domestication, which has already been brought up with collars. 

Contact lenses don't sound worth the effort. I eventually get annoyed with artificial nails. I guess clothing with a feather motif might be nice, depending on how it's made. 

Egyptian "gear" just sounds cheesy. I don't really wear much jewelry and eye-liner honestly doesn't look good on me. (Someone once tried making up my eyes Egyptian-style at a party and admitted defeat.) 

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

I'm a Heru. No, not that one. 

I have a set of ears and a tail purchased for me by somebody very special. I also often wear my collar and trans-pride-pawprint tag on it.

Naia "Shiro" Ōkami (keybase)
Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

In the right environment I think I would love to wear gear.  I am very enamored with the general act of 'displaying my otherness' as a mark of pride, to varying degrees depending on the place.  If I was at an otherkin/therian meeting, I would happily wear gear.  If it was Halloween I would happily wear gear.  In everyday life, I would do something more subtle like wear pins that show off my 'otherness.'  I like to collect enamel pins so I have several for different parts of my identity.

That being said, I'm not sure I would be able to easily find any gear to express my (possible) kintype(s) so... That's somewhat of a shame.  I think I once saw someone selling dragon tails?  But that's about it.

they/them    trans    nonbinary  •  witch  •  otherhearted    questioning dragonkin