Welcome to Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an online community resource for otherkin, therianthropes, the other-hearted, vampires, plural systems, and others with non-human identities. By signing up, you'll be able to participate in the largest and most active otherkin community on the internet. We provide forums, personal profiles, blogs, an image gallery, and a live chatroom to our registered members. Signing up is really fast, why not join us? All are welcome on Kinmunity!

KinBot

Otherkin: Otherkin YouTube Channel!

Would you recommend this resource to a friend?   26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend this resource to a friend?

• Yes, I'd recommend this resource.
    • No, I wouldn't recommend this resource.
    • This resource is broken!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
32 posts in this topic

Otherkin YouTube Channel!

A group of friendly catkin have started a YouTube channel to give support to otherkin! It will be open for video requests and will not allow hate. Please do click the link to view the channel!

[spoiler=Full Description]

Hello! I am Riley, one of the 3 members (so far) running Catmunity Squad, or just Catmunity. We are a support group for otherkin, and are going to be one of the first otherkin supporting YouTube channels!

We will NOT allow any form of hate messages or comments. Anyone who does will be reported. We want everyone safe and happy!

Please do click the link to view this channel! Videos will be posted often!!

Click here to visit Otherkin YouTube Channel!

By clicking the link above, you will be directed to another site that is not affiliated with Kinmunity. Kinmunity takes no responsibility for the content of this site.

Resource submitted by: bancatt

I would love to see this grow. I would reccomend this resource as soon as more videos are made.

I would love to see this grow. I would reccomend this resource as soon as more videos are made.

Of course ^^ Our other members should be posting soon!

Here is what concerns me about this:

1. How long have you been in the community? Do you know enough about it to be answering questions, especially with the correct information?

2. Wearing ears in the video. Most therians don't wear ears/tails/what have you and many people who do aren't therians. Wearing such items can give people the impression and further the stereotype that therians are furries.

3. Will the advice be productive or will it be coddling, not encouraging critical thought, etc.?

While I see potential here, I'm also aware of what most otherkin channels are like...and that doesn't give me much hope...

I can agree with your concerns, and I'll answer each question with numbers as you did.

1. I have been catkin basically all my life, so I can understand and give actual educated advice. Though please keep in mind I will not be the only one. Two other members who have been here longer on both on that channel as well.

2. Yes I did where ears in the video to represent myself as a cat, not as a furry. I wasn't attempting to mess anything up for anyone. I just read a blog on here recently that stated "It's weird for people now to see me without my ear headband on." It gave me the impression that maybe to appeal to some otherkin I could wear my own headband. If it really is a large deal then I will not do so anymore.

3. Honestly I am not sure. I want to comfort and give encouragement. Another member may want to give actual concrete advice and such. I guess you would just have to wait a see.

Please do give us a chance. We are willing to tweak our ways of doing things to help the community.

I liked the ears, they look awesome.

I'm definitely curious about this channel, looking forward to new videos.

I have watched the two first videos and subscribed, it's going to be interesting to see how it turns out :)

Good luck with the channel! :fourleaf:

The channel does seem interesting for a start. With more development, it has potential to become a nice channel to check out.

Good luck!

Here is what concerns me about this:

1. How long have you been in the community? Do you know enough about it to be answering questions, especially with the correct information?

2. Wearing ears in the video. Most therians don't wear ears/tails/what have you and many people who do aren't therians. Wearing such items can give people the impression and further the stereotype that therians are furries.

3. Will the advice be productive or will it be coddling, not encouraging critical thought, etc.?

While I see potential here, I'm also aware of what most otherkin channels are like...and that doesn't give me much hope...

1. I have also known I was non-human all my life but have been active in the community for a few months straight now.

2. I wear ears and a tail myself but I'll try not to wear them in my videos on the channel.

3. I will be doing terminolgy and de-bunking myths about the community. I'd actually like if people could send my question or topics they want me to cover.

Subscribed! I'm interested to see how you guys get on with your channel. Wish you all the best working on it! :)

1. While age is not an indicator of quality, will older members within the community be participating in your channel? I have found that the majority of Therian-related YouTube channels are run by individuals under the age of eighteen.

2. The channel is titled "Catmunity Squad", and I am not a fan of this name because it seems like it was 'inspired' by the name of our site. However, that aside, are the members of the channel exclusively feline therians, and does the content cater to felines more so, or is it for all therians/otherkin?

1. While age is not an indicator of quality, will older members within the community be participating in your channel? I have found that the majority of Therian-related YouTube channels are run by individuals under the age of eighteen.

2. The channel is titled "Catmunity Squad", and I am not a fan of this name because it seems like it was 'inspired' by the name of our site. However, that aside, are the members of the channel exclusively feline therians, and does the content cater to felines more so, or is it for all therians/otherkin?

Just at the moment it only has people under 18 but we are hoping to expand. And if you would like we can change our name if you feel it's too close to Kinmunity.

I'm going to try to answer as well. In numbered order as I did before.

1. We are all under 18 as of right now, but we are allowing new members of high age to come. I actually have someone in mind.

2. We used Catmunity to tie into Kinmunity, which we can of course change. And it is ran by catkin as of right now, but we will be focusing around all kintypes.

We used Catmunity to tie into Kinmunity

In this case, I would prefer you change the name as it is not a project the site has official involvement in.

We subscribed. We've been around/lurking/watching the therian community on Youtube since 2009 so please forgive our system if we are a little... wary. We've seen some good channels/videos tackle therianthropy (or otherkin in general), and we've also seen lots of videos which are either problematic or just very misinformed. Our system recommends thoroughly double-checking your research/facts for every topic to try to make sure nothing misinformed is added. Plus, just be careful what you say as it could lead to misinformation. (For example, without thinking its easy to accidentally say "identify with" vs "identity as" or whatnot.) So, best wishes, and please be careful.

- Miushra (female, cheetah-like feline)

We promise to never post a video without the proper research. It would be very dumb of us to even try to use only our resources. We will try to help as much as we can, but I will remind this to our users that we are only a few people, and that if they do take our information as completely concrete advice then that is on them.

Heard about this the other day and went ahead and subscribed. I'm interested to see where the channel goes and whether or not it's successful :D

Went ahead and subscribed, I echo the others in looking forward to future videos.

Just wanted to second that point. While I have no issue with people wearing ears/collars etc... I agree it does confuse people about the differences of therianthropy and furries and feel it gives the wrong impression of what the therian community is actually like. While there are some therians/otherkin that wear tails, ears, etc... it does tend to be the minority (and sometimes it's because they're also furry, adding to the confusion).

But good luck with your channel, I hope it works out well for you and I'm curious to see more of your videos.

Perhaps compromise by wearing cat shirts or necklaces instead (if you have them)?

Hard to tell from just the introductions, but I'm curious as to how you'll answer future questions and what kinds of stuff you'll talk about.

Tips (this isn't to say you aren't following these, just things to keep in mind): Keep a casually professional appearance; don't appear on camera looking too inconsiderate of your appearance, don't use 'silly' body behavior (ie acting too wild, excessive hand gestures); especially for something like otherkin, presentation can easily work for or against stigma. If you present yourselves as intelligent, well-put-together individuals, you hopefully won't have a problem with anon hate or have your videos gifed and made into 'lol look at these ridiculous otherkins' memes.

If you can, try to script at least part of your videos to cut down on filler words like 'um' and 'like', and also to make sure your word order makes for clear sentences and understanding (i suggest this mostly for general informational videos, not talking about your personal experiences). Try to make a common plot; ex. casual intro (hey welcome back), maybe respond to significant comments in person to add a personal touch, main feature, suggest questions for next time. Or small videos for the subsections; this will attract people who might just be interested in one kind of video and they'll look for an organized video system where they can find the subject and video style they want to watch.

Just suggestions, mainly, but definitely things to consider.

Perhaps compromise by wearing cat shirts or necklaces instead (if you have them)?

Hard to tell from just the introductions, but I'm curious as to how you'll answer future questions and what kinds of stuff you'll talk about.

Tips (this isn't to say you aren't following these, just things to keep in mind): Keep a casually professional appearance; don't appear on camera looking too inconsiderate of your appearance, don't use 'silly' body behavior (ie acting too wild, excessive hand gestures); especially for something like otherkin, presentation can easily work for or against stigma. If you present yourselves as intelligent, well-put-together individuals, you hopefully won't have a problem with anon hate or have your videos gifed and made into 'lol look at these ridiculous otherkins' memes.

If you can, try to script at least part of your videos to cut down on filler words like 'um' and 'like', and also to make sure your word order makes for clear sentences and understanding (i suggest this mostly for general informational videos, not talking about your personal experiences). Try to make a common plot; ex. casual intro (hey welcome back), maybe respond to significant comments in person to add a personal touch, main feature, suggest questions for next time. Or small videos for the subsections; this will attract people who might just be interested in one kind of video and they'll look for an organized video system where they can find the subject and video style they want to watch.

Just suggestions, mainly, but definitely things to consider.

We will be working on appearances, and on our lines I guess you could say. It will be a learning experience for us all to say the least.