Welcome to Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an online community resource for otherkin, therianthropes, the other-hearted, vampires, plural systems, and others with non-human identities. By signing up, you'll be able to participate in the largest and most active otherkin community on the internet. We provide forums, personal profiles, blogs, an image gallery, and a live chatroom to our registered members. Signing up is really fast, why not join us? All are welcome on Kinmunity!

Hyphero

rejected
Colored names

Just a quality of life thing, nothing special. Add colors to the names of people with special permissions. This will add color to the site, and allow people to tell who's a staff member easily.

Name colors (names on the bottom are higher priority):

Grey - Silver VIP

Gold - Gold VIP

Orange - Elder

Purple - Special

Blue - Chat Operator

Green - Guardian

Red - Administrator

I vote no. In my opinion, the badges (or whatever they're called) that already exist are quite enough. Plus, new members might annoy us with questions like ‘how do I get a colour’ and get disappointed when they get told they have to be a staff member.

I vote no. In my opinion, the badges (or whatever they're called) that already exist are quite enough. Plus, new members might annoy us with questions like ‘how do I get a colour’ and get disappointed when they get told they have to be a staff member.
Similar things exist on many forums, and you can't tell who's a staff member or not in the chatroom since you can't see the ribbons.

Similar things exist on many forums

So what? Do we really have to copy features from other forums just for the sake of it?

and you can't tell who's a staff member or not in the chatroom since you can't see the ribbons.

In that case, we could add prefixes on the chat. Like on IRC. The ‘@’ symbol may make it confusing to tag people, so how about an exclamation mark (‘!’) or something?

In that case, we could add prefixes on the chat. Like on IRC. The ‘@’ symbol may make it confusing to tag people, so how about an exclamation mark (‘!’) or something?
Shiro has tried that, and it broke the chat.

Shiro has tried that, and it broke the chat.

And how is that a reason to give up on that? Why didn't he try to fix it?

I can see where Hyphero is coming from, colours could make it quicker to identify others. But with that, you'd have to memorise what the colours are to know the 'status' of the person in question. And I'd personally hate it if I couldn't read someone's name because of the simple colour, and struggled every time.

But then it could cause issue away from chat (I'm going to use @Nyht Myst and Flatline as an example) - going by your colours, does that make Flatline an Administrator, for any new person who looks at the colour and makes the connection between colours and this thread? They could go on chat, see the different colours for different people, and assume it's the same for everywhere else on the forum

It really does seem like a good idea upon aesthetics and I agree the colours would spice things up a bit. But as has already been said it could become confusing to people be a use of the association with colours elsewhere in the site that wouldn't correlate with these new features.

This was implemented on our Discord server, but will not be implemented on our main chat. Our main chat displays usernames the same as they're displayed on the forum, and colored usernames are redundant on the forums due to banners.