Welcome to Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an online community resource for otherkin, therianthropes, the other-hearted, vampires, plural systems, and others with non-human identities. By signing up, you'll be able to participate in the largest and most active otherkin community on the internet. We provide forums, personal profiles, blogs, an image gallery, and a live chatroom to our registered members. Signing up is really fast, why not join us? All are welcome on Kinmunity!

Skylark

implemented
Mentor system

32 posts in this topic

This is kind of a big thing, and I'm definitely looking for feedback and ideas to see what people are and aren't down for.

Personally, I find the idea of a mentoring system comforting and pleasant. I think it would be a great way to kickstart relationships with other site members that keep people coming back to Kinmunity after their first visit. Having that kind of arrangement can also possibly help newer people feel less anxious about messing up. However, as was commented on my original thread in New Frontiers, there are some people who can't or don't want to have such a formal title. I'm not really sure if enough people are interested in being mentors for this to be a formal system. I see benefit in it, though.

My vision right now is this: a stickied thread in New Frontiers where newbies interested in finding a mentor can either simply respond, or fill out a short form/questionnaire with what they're looking for in a mentor. Then, anyone interested in taking up their offer can respond on that thread, or message them? That part I'm not too sure about.

Thoughts?

I think that sounds a good idea. I for one wouldn't mind giving some of my time to mentor new and unsure kin.

The one thing I'm wary of is that many people who will happily assume the role of 'mentor' are either power hungry, want people to accept their beliefs and not help them explore their own, etc. Maybe the very word just irks me because I've seen so many "mentors" who are abusive of that responsibility over the years.

The one thing I'm wary of is that many people who will happily assume the role of 'mentor' are either power hungry, want people to accept their beliefs and not help them explore their own, etc. Maybe the very word just irks me because I've seen so many "mentors" who are abusive of that responsibility over the years.

I was thinking about this, yeah. I've been turning over possibilities of certain standards users must meet before they can be considered mentors, especially with new 'kin. My original proposal was almost to have the stickied thread be for mentor applications, as in users who want to be mentors fill out a form/reply, etc.

Maybe they need to have earned one of the Likeable trophies, to show that they've gone a certain amount of time without warnings? Some sort of prerequisite?

My feeling towards this would be that they'd have to have Elder status among any other prerequisites. The last thing the community needs, especially in the age of Tumblr, is a blind leading the blind scenario.

My feeling towards this would be that they'd have to have Elder status among any other prerequisites. The last thing the community needs, especially in the age of Tumblr, is a blind leading the blind scenario.

This is actually a really good idea. But are enough Elders prepared to sustain the system?

This is actually a really good idea. But are enough Elders prepared to sustain the system?

Good question, but I'm not sure how much of a "system" there will be. I'd wager that most of the "newbies" that have been flooding in will go quiet after a while once this Tumblr drama simmers down.

A formal mentor system would require a level of dedication to ensure the system is not abused or misused. Because mentoring is of a personal matter, this would require steps that we feel violate user privacy on Kinmunity. Rather than using a formal system, I instead propose that Elders who wish to be 'mentors' make themselves available to users who have questions.

That sounds like a plan. Would there be any change then, or do you think we'll just leave it how it is, with people stepping in when questions are asked?

I think having Elders be able to help is a perfect idea. Maybe change could happen to make it more strongly known that they are here to help?

I've actually been having interest of having a mentor (when I mean by mentor isn't

24/7 but rather someone who I can rely on of correcting me and teaching me 'kin

related things,) for quite awhile. Perhaps instead those who're dedicated to help

/seeking 'ment-ees' should have a ribbon or badge to alert those who're in need of

help and guidance.

However just as mentioned above, this should be only a feature (if taken upon

suggestion,) exclusive to those who're elders, not just some random person.

Yet pretty sure that itself is self-explanatory. Well hope to see some people willing

to help us, especially considering I'm still searching myself. This would also be a

perfect way for us a community to bond more and show that we're definitely more

of an inviting group to run up and ask to for help.

Maybe we could add some sort of badge or change the color of the banner for elders who are willing to "mentor"?

Maybe we could add some sort of badge or change the color of the banner for elders who are willing to "mentor"?

I think this would be a good way of handling it. It could be an option in your profile that you can select and if you can't change the color of the badge, you can get a little mention in the miniprofile maybe under Inventory.

~Jessie

Maybe instead of changing color, it could have a small decoration? That could be in Unicode, even - it could just have a star or something next to "Elder".

I think this sounds like a good idea overall, I wouldn't mind doing this.

I think this is a good idea. If you want mentors to be marked, you can add "Willing to mentor." on their miniprofile as @Spiritual Hunters said. A badge isn't the best idea, and changing the Elder banner would effectively allow staff members to be invisible mentors.

I like the idea of having elders be mentors. I would love to be a mentor myself, but I'm not an elder :/ Something to work towards now, I suppose :3

I was thinking of using the social groups for this. I'd start an official group and the staff would moderate join requests. This would allow a mentor title, as well as allow an opt-in system for elders who are actually interested in mentoring. Thoughts?

We would be happy to help new members due to us being around the community for so many years plus we have knowledge (especially history knowledge) of various otherkin communities and knowledge around plurality however we don't have Elder status (yet, or if ever). So I guess we can't help out in this formally. However in that case, we're always happy to give a massive amount of links, sources, lists of websites, and information on the history of various communities (with citation).

- Z (male, snowy owl)

This sounds great actually. I'm pretty new to all of this and would love to have an older member of the community to chat with and ask questions.

Personally, i believe we have a system already in place. Post a question, read responses. If someone continually answers well and you like their point of view, ask them more questions privately, and then ask if they'd mentor you.

If the forum takes a stand with selecting who can mentor and who cannot, I foresee drama and accusations of favoritism from those who want that status, but have not been given it.

I was thinking of using the social groups for this. I'd start an official group and the staff would moderate join requests. This would allow a mentor title, as well as allow an opt-in system for elders who are actually interested in mentoring. Thoughts?

I'd love to help out new members and answer questions, although I'm not an Elder here I've been around the therian community for 15 odd years and the otherkin community for 10 or so years.

If a group like this was made would it still be restricted to Elders, or could others join through some sort of application/approval system?

I'm not sure a group is a good idea because you're limited on how many groups you can join. Unless your gold vip you can't join many groups at all. And some may find other groups more important. Plus, groups aren't exactly active.

~Jessie