Do you have “Mind powers?” - 💬​​​​​​​ Chit Chat - Kinmunity Jump to content

Do you have “Mind powers?”

I was talking with Amber, and I wondered: does anyone else, despite all logic, try to manipulate reality with the power of their mind? It doesn’t matter how, I’m just curious to know if anyone relates to this. I try to do it by believing so hard, that something happens!

Sometimes I feel a force out there in the universe (I call it serendipity), the one that causes things to happen just a certain way. It’s almost something I could reach out and touch, to pull at it, but maybe I’m not a high-enough dimension of being to really access it.

I wouldn't call it powers, because that implies that I can do things at will, when mostly it comes out as occasional interesting coincidences. But what your describing sounds like magic in general. I certainly do try to manipulate things, and most of the time I can't tell if it's working or not. It's mostly a matter of attempting to nudge the probabilities. The most interesting stuff seems to happen when I'm not trying at all, serendipity as you call it. It doesn't seem to be something that I can force or control. It happens often enough that I know it's there, but not often enough to depend on it. For example: I used to see random and irrelevant flashes of the future. Occasionally, I've heard a someone else's thoughts, usually no more than a second or two, and more likely if it concerns me. I used to be able to find lost things by feeling a slight nudge in the right direction. Occasionally I get impressions of where to find a decent parking spot. Empathy seems to be the most solid one, but it's not actually that useful and can be more trouble than it's worth. 

Red Tailed Hawk Therian / Polymorph / Spirit Being / Anthro Hawk / Deitykin

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

Eyyy!!! I second that as general magic.
I have a variety of practices ranging from meditation and prayer to spells and charms and runes. But even outside of that, like your Serendipity, things just seem to happen in my favor. If I ask, I receive. If I seek, I find. And If I say Thank You, I get showered with even more blessings!
That may be influenced because of my faith in the strength of my fea/soul, my faith in my Goddess and her immanence everywhere, or maybe it's a fae trait. I try not to overthink it and just beam gratitude at whatever way luck turns for me lol.

I do find that systemic magic has more concrete results, or the results are more to my specification than just allowing Fate to support my wishes. Maybe do some divination to find a Path or Practice that will help you access more of Serendipity? (regarding your 'not being high dimension enough' :P)

One of the things that gives me a lot of dysphoria is that I can't glamour people the way I'm supposed to.

Like, when my SO is sleeping she often leaves her white noise machine a little too loud. I have to crawl over her to turn it down, and I keep forgetting that she can wake up when I do that. It's really not supposed to work that way. She shouldn't even be able to move 😕

And sometimes when she's really anxious, I'll stroke her cheek and say "relax", putting a lot of will into that word. And it never works, which feels pretty terrible. I know it won't work, but I keep trying anyway, and I'm not even sure why at this point.

Those are the ones that I can talk about, but it's lots of things like that. I know that I can't do them, but I guess a part of me refuses to stop trying.

Edited by kasdeya
Fixed a typo that was really bugging me

I'm not sure what you mean by "mind powers" but I had actual telekinesis as a child and my mother tried to cover it up. The ability has left me as I got older. I have a few examples. When I was very small (too small to remember) I was at my great grandmas house sitting in either moms lap or my grandmas lap and I kept trying to grab a glass that was sitting on the table. So the adults moved it out of my reach. I made grabby motions at it and it started moving across the table toward me until an adult stopped it.

When I was 4 or 5 I had a toy horse that would walk across the floor, but no one could get it to work right. I sat down and made grabby motions at it and it started walking toward me. My mom immediately jumped up and kicked it over then told my grandma "You didn't see anything." Which is why I think she tried to cover it up.

I was watching Sesame Street one day and we had an old television you had to turn a knob on to change channels. Grandma got up and flipped it a couple channels away from my show and I had a fit, then the TV switched back to Sesame Street.

I have since tried my hardest to do things like that again and I can't seem to. I can't make predictions, I can't move things with my mind, I can't control the universe in any way. The only world I have even a little control over is my own headspace, and I don't even have total control there.

10 hours ago, Shezep said:

I wouldn't call it powers, because that implies that I can do things at will, when mostly it comes out as occasional interesting coincidences. But what your describing sounds like magic in general. I certainly do try to manipulate things, and most of the time I can't tell if it's working or not. It's mostly a matter of attempting to nudge the probabilities. The most interesting stuff seems to happen when I'm not trying at all, serendipity as you call it. It doesn't seem to be something that I can force or control. It happens often enough that I know it's there, but not often enough to depend on it. For example: I used to see random and irrelevant flashes of the future. Occasionally, I've heard a someone else's thoughts, usually no more than a second or two, and more likely if it concerns me. I used to be able to find lost things by feeling a slight nudge in the right direction. Occasionally I get impressions of where to find a decent parking spot. Empathy seems to be the most solid one, but it's not actually that useful and can be more trouble than it's worth. 

Occasional interesting coincidences! That’s why I call it serendipity: “the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.”

Nudging the probabilities—that’s a great way to put it! That’s exactly how it works, for me. Trying get to make things more (or less) probable, by believing hard enough!

I’ve tried to find things by following the path this “force” would guide me by, but I’ve had little/no success there. The only thing I can do (seemingly) reliably? Prevent the toilet from clogging when I flush it, no matter the turd. 😅 [embarrassment]

———————

8 hours ago, Elluenda said:

But even outside of that, like your Serendipity, things just seem to happen in my favor. If I ask, I receive. If I seek, I find. And If I say Thank You, I get showered with even more blessings!
That may be influenced because of my faith in the strength of my fea/soul, my faith in my Goddess and her immanence everywhere, or maybe it's a fae trait. I try not to overthink it and just beam gratitude at whatever way luck turns for me lol.

Perhaps it is the luck of the fae? I’ve considered fairy folk as a guess at my kintype before. I am extremely lucky, in all the ways that are important. Small, trivial things often don’t work out well, but things that matter a good deal almost always seem to turn out in my favor. I hope I’m beaming enough gratitude for it!

I called the magic “serendipity” because it seems like mere happenstance, but happens in such curious ways! It’s almost as if fate is an entity, living alongside us, occasionally making jokes out of funny coincidences (even the unpleasant ones).

I’m not sure how to do “systemic” or organized magic... I’m (slowly) making my own deck of tarot cards.... and I have some bland 30 year old spices I could set on fire... I don’t know how to formal magic.

——————

7 hours ago, kasdeya said:

One of the things that gives me a lot of dysphoria is that I can't glamour people the way I'm supposed to.

Like, when my SO is sleeping she often leaves her white noise machine a little too loud. I have to crawl over her to turn it off, and I keep forgetting that she can wake up when I do that. It's really not supposed to work that way. She shouldn't even be able to move 😕

And sometimes when she's really anxious, I'll stroke her cheek and say "relax", putting a lot of will into that word. And it never works, which feels pretty terrible. I know it won't work, but I keep trying anyway, and I'm not even sure why at this point.

Those are the ones that I can talk about, but it's lots of things like that. I know that I can't do them, but I guess a part of me refuses to stop trying.

What does it mean to glamour someone?

(Hm... reminds me of the time my friend and I tried to hypnotize/relax each other. I was able to talk her into feeling quite relaxed, but when she tried, she didn’t realize word choice was important... “belly” is a funny word. I laughed instead of relaxed.)

I also try to communicate and send emotions through force of willpower... it feels like it should work, so easily and effectively, and yet... nothing seems to happen. Using other ways to give someone a mood or feeling, like the power of suggestion, talking to someone’s stream of consciousness, can feel clunky and unnatural as speaking a new language... but if you do it often enough, it can become natural to use like your own language.

But! Your spirit refuses to give up—you keep trying! And I think that is good. Sometime, with someone, it may work. Even with adversity, it is worth being persistent in who you are!

———————

7 hours ago, Addy-River said:

When I was very small (too small to remember) I was at my great grandmas house sitting in either moms lap or my grandmas lap and I kept trying to grab a glass that was sitting on the table. So the adults moved it out of my reach. I made grabby motions at it and it started moving across the table toward me until an adult stopped it.

Oh! The moving cup telekinesis! I’m familiar with that! When a cup is sitting on a smooth surface, and it leaves a ring of condensation, sometimes the cup will hydroplane and move on its own... But what a coincidence, for it to happen at just the right moment. And with the horse toy, too... That coincidence is where I find the magic!

I don’t know how to explain the TV though, so I choose to believe! The mystery remains magical.

It must feel so disheartening to lose that kind of connection you once had. Losing something is emotionally much harder than not having something in the first place. Even without controlling it, maybe the universe can still talk to you with it’s strange coincidences. Maybe it helps you without you knowing—hiding your keys, making you late, thus avoiding the car that would have hit you, in a different time and space... I like to think it helps us like this.

Edited by Star_3_Dreamer

54 minutes ago, Star_3_Dreamer said:

Oh! The moving cup telekinesis! I’m familiar with that! When a cup is sitting on a smooth surface, and it leaves a ring of condensation, sometimes the cup will hydroplane and move on its own... But what a coincidence, for it to happen at just the right moment. And with the horse toy, too... That coincidence is where I find the magic!

I don’t know how to explain the TV though, so I choose to believe! The mystery remains magical.

It must feel so disheartening to lose that kind of connection you once had. Losing something is emotionally much harder than not having something in the first place. Even without controlling it, maybe the universe can still talk to you with it’s strange coincidences. Maybe it helps you without you knowing—hiding your keys, making you late, thus avoiding the car that would have hit you, in a different time and space... I like to think it helps us like this.

Given the bad luck and horrible things that keep happening to me and my family I feel like the universe is against me. We can't get a break. First my moms bf died, then we started having money problems we still have to this day, then my bf died, then my cat ran away. I did manage to find one piece of good in my new bf, but he was supposed to come visit me this past weekend but the head gasket in his car blew, just one more way for the universe to take my happiness away from me. I know he can come visit me eventually tho, but it may not be for a while.

1 hour ago, Star_3_Dreamer said:

What does it mean to glamour someone?

I use it as sort of a catch-all for any kind of mood- or thought-altering magic. For example, if someone enchanted a perfume to smell like an herb that no longer exists, that would be an illusion. If they enchanted it to create desire in the people who smell it, that would be a glamour. So to glamour someone means to affect their thoughts or mood with magic.

(Hm... reminds me of the time my friend and I tried to hypnotize/relax each other. I was able to talk her into feeling quite relaxed, but when she tried, she didn’t realize word choice was important... “belly” is a funny word. I laughed instead of relaxed.)

I also try to communicate and send emotions through force of willpower... it feels like it should work, so easily and effectively, and yet... nothing seems to happen. Using other ways to give someone a mood or feeling, like the power of suggestion, talking to someone’s stream of consciousness, can feel clunky and unnatural as speaking a new language... but if you do it often enough, it can become natural to use like your own language.

You're absolutely right! In fact, I've been experimenting with hypnosis for a pretty long time. It feels a bit crude sometimes, but it's often a good enough replacement. And I get all kinds of species euphoria when I'm able to use it well.

Hehe, I've always thought of "belly" as kind of a funny word, too. But "stomach" sounds overly technical. That's one of the reasons I don't do progressive muscle relaxation. That and the Elman induction is way more fun!

But! Your spirit refuses to give up—you keep trying! And I think that is good. Sometime, with someone, it may work. Even with adversity, it is worth being persistent in who you are!

That's so encouraging! I really hope you're right. And thank you!

Edited by kasdeya

12 hours ago, Star_3_Dreamer said:

Trying get to make things more (or less) probable, by believing hard enough!

That's where you're going to end up working against yourself, or maybe a brilliant example of why word choice is important. The "harder" you try to do magic, the more you will fail. The moments when it has succeeded for me were not at all preceded by trying "hard." When it does happen, it feels like the easiest and most natural thing in the world, and I usually don't realize until later that I shouldn't have been able to do it. It's almost like playing a game, which is probably why kids have a better track record with it than adults. Maybe the right word is not "believe" but "allow" and maybe not "work" but "play." 

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

3 hours ago, Shezep said:

That's where you're going to end up working against yourself, or maybe a brilliant example of why word choice is important. The "harder" you try to do magic, the more you will fail. The moments when it has succeeded for me were not at all preceded by trying "hard." When it does happen, it feels like the easiest and most natural thing in the world, and I usually don't realize until later that I shouldn't have been able to do it. It's almost like playing a game, which is probably why kids have a better track record with it than adults. Maybe the right word is not "believe" but "allow" and maybe not "work" but "play." 

I’m not sure what the right word to use is... I usually just try to believe that it’s going to happen/work, so then it does...

Thats how I feel compared to everyone else: like a kid... Not just the stuff I like, but the way I see things, and play or pretend freely. (I bet a lot of people here can relate to that too) 🙂

What kind of thought or feeling do you put into it? And how do you feel when you play games? I tend to feel kind of competitive, or salty about it if I’m not good at the game...

43 minutes ago, Star_3_Dreamer said:

What kind of thought or feeling do you put into it? And how do you feel when you play games? I tend to feel kind of competitive, or salty about it if I’m not good at the game...

It seems to work best when you're not overly concerned with the results. If you start to get stressed about it, it sort of freezes up and stops working. Though I guess there is a contradiction there, because I have had stuff happen when I was very stressed out. It may have something to do with how engaged the conscious mind is at the time. It's like you can't do it when you're looking directly at it, so you have to find a sneaky back way to get at it. 

Shard of Heru AKA Horus

As a kid I used to. I think I just misconstrued the subjects of karma and wicca at the time. As a kid who was strongly swayed by magic and as any kid, believing being able to do things I couldn't actually do on this planet haha.. I used to focus my attention and just 'try'. I've lost my drive to try by exerting myself,and I believe the earth doesn't have such powerful energies as in casting literal magic.. however on a more subtle level I do believe in law of attraction to an extent. That's as far as energy manipulation I feel this earth has currently..Nothing crazy, but something is better than nothing. 

Timber wolf therian-- Zhuardarian changeling-- horse hearted
~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~