Welcome to Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an online community resource for otherkin, therianthropes, the other-hearted, vampires, plural systems, and others with non-human identities. By signing up, you'll be able to participate in the largest and most active otherkin community on the internet. We provide forums, personal profiles, blogs, an image gallery, and a live chatroom to our registered members. Signing up is really fast, why not join us? All are welcome on Kinmunity!

Elvode

What are you?

32 posts in this topic

A friend of mine on facebook posts funny pictures which introverts and pessimists can relate to in a funny way.

I was wondering, what are you? Pessimist or optimist, an introvert or extrovert? Perhaps you both or all of them?

I always talk in an optimistic way but I view it myself in a pessimistic way.

I am introverted, it takes literally a week for me to make a phone call that will last for like 5 mins because I need to prepare mentally for the conversation and if someone talks to me outside for a few minutes all I can think of is how exhausted I feel and need to recharge for several days in loneliness. When a friend invites me for a drink somewhere, my brains screams "no not again!" Even if it might have been a year ago or two.

I just feel so much better alone.

I am an optimist, but try to be a realist about things. :P

I'm also definitely an introvert, about as introverted as they come. I got over some of my childhood shyness, but the introvertedness just seems to be part of me. Conversation gets tiring easily, and I need a while to recharge either alone, or with someone I can handle around me. (only two people so far can actually do that)

Phone calls are super hard for me as well, unless it's my mum or something :P I always hate official phone calls though, and try to avoid them, to the amusement of everyone around me. (well, some make fun of me for it, but I really can't help it)

But, I try not to make it too unhealthy, and push myself to make friends and communicate.

I'm all of the above! It usually depends of the day and who's fronting or co-fronting at the time.

I am definitely an introvert, too much social interaction and I'll get overwhelmed.

But I'm also more of an optimist! I try to see the good in situations, but this way of thinking has caused lots of self-denial for situations where I'm allowed to be sad.

Not gonna lie, when i saw the title my initial reaction was 'an idiot sandwich'

I guess I'm kind of caught between optimist and pessimist. Though I tend to speak in an optimistic way and push my thoughts to be more optimistic, my frequent depressive bouts often cause me to think very pessimistic.

And I am most definitely an introvert. Social situations both panic me and wear me out. Though I do enjoy socializing and meeting up with friends when possible, it is more exhausting than anything else. My social anxiety also makes me a lot more introverted than what I probably would be otherwise. Have to admit I'm the same with phone calls, but I think even worse than having to talk to someone on the other end is when you mentally prepare yourself and then it turns out to be an automated voice message/answer machine. I always find a way to screw it up without the aid of social cues from another human being, haha.

I try and be as optimistic as I can but I have days where I can be very pessimistic those tend to go hand in hand with anxiety days. I am often much more pessimistic when it comes to other people, whereas on my own or with my husband I am much more optimistic.

Very much introverted. I come back from social situations exhausted and trying to work out how I can avoid the next one. I'm very anxious in social situations, I hate buying things as I have to interact with the cashier (self service check outs are a godsend), I hate making phone calls and it can take me several days to work up the courage to do so if I need to make a phone call. Large crowds terrify me as do crowded trains etc. I hate making eye contact with people I don't know as I am so anxious which has led to some awful confrontations with me trying desperately to explain I'm not being rude I'm just an awkward, shy, ball of anxiety.

I'm a realistic optimist I suppose. I tend to think everything will turn out just fine, but I still consider the possibility of it not turning out fine and make plans in case that should happen.

And introverted, most definitely.

I am introverted, it takes literally a week for me to make a phone call that will last for like 5 mins because I need to prepare mentally for the conversation

Oh gosh, I completely relate to that. People never seem to understand it, but I find talking on the phone very hard and draining. Everyone seems to think it should be easier then face-to-face, but it's just not. If I have to make a call it takes ages for me to prepare for it, and I'll often pick up the phone, start dialing and then stop half way through and go prepare myself some more. I'm not sure what it is about phones, but I find it even harder to talk to people over the phone then I do in person. And I'm not exactly happy about talking to people in person either, unless they're a friend or someone I know well.

I very rarely 'go out' with people, other then for a walk in the woods or on the beach or something (and that's usually with dogs rather than people :P). Although sometimes my partners parents take us out for a meal, and I really dislike going to busy pubs/restaurants. I hate eating in front of other people because I feel like I have to eat 'properly' with a knife and fork, but I fail at using a knife and usually end up dropping food on myself when I try.

People never seem to understand it, but I find talking on the phone very hard and draining. Everyone seems to think it should be easier then face-to-face, but it's just not. If I have to make a call it takes ages for me to prepare for it, and I'll often pick up the phone, start dialing and then stop half way through and go prepare myself some more. I'm not sure what it is about phones, but I find it even harder to talk to people over the phone then I do in person.

Maybe it's because we can't see the other person as they're talking? Before phones, the only way we'd be able to hear each other when talking is if we were there in person, so we have so much subconscious nonverbal communication in that situation; facial expressions, gesturing, etc. Conversation is...weird without that. If I can't plan my words while watching someone else, it's so much more difficult. I like knowing exactly what I need to say before I pick up the phone.

I'm an introvert, simply put. I can enjoy being with my friends, but some people are extremely draining to be around (mainly excited or enthusiastic people, it's harder to keep up with them). Being out away from home for a long time (especially shopping) is a massive energy drain for me, and I'll get progressively less interested in whatever activity we're doing until we return home.

Also, I see the glass as being both empty and full at the same time, so I'm neither? I hope things will turn out for the best, but still think about how I would react in a situation where they don't.

I find talking on the phone very hard and draining. Everyone seems to think it should be easier then face-to-face, but it's just not.

I agree, it's super difficult over the phone, I can't see their face and it really bothers me, at my summer job I had to call people and use the phone a lot, it was a lot easier because I was another person at work like a "service person" but when my shift ended I was back to being myself and calling was very difficult again.

But meeting people was the most difficult since I'm introverted, I just wanted to lock the door and never return.

I'm a pessimist. I can make myself sound like an optimist when trying to comfort someone, but in my mind I'm thinking of every worst case scenario.

I'm also an introvert. My dream job is to be a hermit living in the woods. As long as I have my internet, books, needlework, movies, and videogames, I'll be happy.

I'm a pessimist. I see the world for it's problems, of which it has no shortage. "The world is an infinite and ever expanding tree of lemons, and it holds no preference for the recipients of that citrus" as I once said. I can't solve these problems, there will inevitably be more and it becomes an exercise in futility. I try and better myself because that is one of the few things that I have control over. That said, when talking to people I respect and care for, I'm more of an optimist. I care about their future, and I want the best for them. I know that if they think pessimistically then there is hardly any way that they will be able to reach their eventual goals, so I encourage them to be optimistic.

I'm an introvert. I much prefer the company of a book than that of a group of other people. That said, there are a few people that I will let into my life, or that I will stomach having to be around in other cases. The former case has my utmost respect, and I am ambivalent towards the latter case. I find that spending my time alone where I can think, learn, and enjoy the quiet is far better than having a larger social circle

I am definitely an introvert. Large crowds make me nervous, although with time I have been able to learn to be fine with it, as long as I can be anonymous. If I can just blend into the crowd, say at a theatre, I have no problems. I also am drained by dealing with people, but once again I have learned to cope with it.

I am an optimstic pessimist. I see all the possible problems, but I hope for the best solution.

I'm more or less a pessimistic introverted idealist.

Quite the combo I'd say.

I'm pretty optimistic but a lot of times I'll be painfully realistic. Nothing but hardcore introvert here, I literally can't have conversations with people because I wasn't ready for such a challenge all of a sudden. Social interaction is so tiring.

Definitely a pessimistic introvert. If I don't know you I pretty much won't like you until I do. Also life is too harsh to look at so brightly. Always expect the worst.

I'm definitely an introvert. Doing activities with lots of people around or even hanging out with friends for a while can be quite draining, and I need alone time to recharge.

@Telegdrian That's my mentality perfectly! Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Wow, we seem to have a lot of introverts. I wonder if it has something to do with being kin? Or maybe just that Internet denizens prefer being online with eachother...

Wow, we seem to have a lot of introverts. I wonder if it has something to do with being kin? Or maybe just that Internet denizens prefer being online with eachother...

I was thinking of making this into a poll before I created the thread but I didn't expect so many to be introverted. :p

If someone's into science this could definitely be something interesting to look into, sadly I'm not into science.

I'm introverted.It takes an insane amount of patience and effort to get me out of my room and even then, I barely have social interactions. Too much energy required.

If someone's into science this could definitely be something interesting to look into, sadly I'm not into science.

Did someone say science? I think I heard someone say science.

hAF73959C.jpg

Anyways, I think that the reason that we have more introverts than extroverts is because of a few reasons.

1. You are far more likely to find introverts on internet communities. It's social interaction without all the bits that many introverts dislike about social interaction.

2. More time alone = more time for introspection and self discovery? This one would warrant a poll, just to see how many otherkin/therians are introverted/extroverted. I personally don't think that there is a correlation between being an otherkin or therian and being an introvert/extrovert, but I do think that there may be a correlation between awakening as an otherkin or therian and being an introvert/extrovert. Like, you can be an otherkin or therian without awakening, it's just that you aren't necessarily aware of that facet of yourself, if that makes any sense. Then the act of awakening is something sparked by introspection and assisted through further introspection, which eventually leads you to find communities of like-minded people, and thus a disparity between the numbers of introverts/extroverts in the otherkin community.

3. There is a correlation between being an otherkin or therian and being an introvert, one that can't be proven by science. Perhaps the state of being an otherkin or therian affects how you interact socially. Far-fetched, but still possible.

4. A combination of the above and factors that I haven't thought of yet.

Anyways, that's my $0.02, and I don't think that there is necessarily any need for a poll, and I don't think that we would necessarily get any sort of reliable results from it that would lend itself to one conclusion or the other. In short, it is an interesting statistic, but improbable to try and discern any concrete information from it.

Anyways, that's my $0.02

*gives you money* I feel so enlightened! :innocent:

I think you made a good point and you also made me laugh out loud with the picture, it was actually funny!

I'm introverted and mostly realist but my believes makes me a hypocrite ^^"

@Quxyun I think you are most correct with the second point. I think there are a lot more therian/otherkin out there, but they just haven't put the time into the introspection needed to figure it out. An extrovert is much more concerned with the outside world and social interaction.

Pessimistic introvert all the way. Haven't made a phone call in years. Hate talking to people cause I literally never know what to say. Can't stand optimists. I've always found the future to be bleak.

Im an optimistic introvert. I have social anxiety but I always try snd make new friends. I get awkward in conversations but I keep trying. It may have something to do with my kin. Im cougarkin which is a solitary animal, while centaurs usally have herds. I think I'm just awkward.