Daily Thought - Page 21 - 💬​​​​​​​ Chit Chat - Kinmunity Jump to content

Guest Metakka

I'm reviving my own forum and so good so far.

3 hours ago, Metakka said:

I'm reviving my own forum and so good so far.

Oh hey you have your own forum? What's it called? ^-^ I wouldn't mind checking it out sometime!

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* "𝓞𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓼𝓹𝓲𝓻𝓲𝓽, 𝓵𝓸𝓸𝓴 𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝓶𝔂 𝓮𝔂𝓮𝓼..." *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

CanIchangeThisNow.gif.3cc132fc36ffefb29c4d6749edcd9e2e.gif

Guest Metakka

@Effervescent-Daydream It's up in the links section! Right here!

Daily thought: I'm playing Neopets for nostalgia reasons again. I'm so surprised that my username of choice was available at all. Can't remember any of my old ones, unfortunately. But oh well! I got the cool username and that's all that matters. The fact that it's also the name of a song by Ghost makes this one easier to remember.

1 hour ago, Metakka said:

@Effervescent-Daydream It's up in the links section! Right here!

Daily thought: I'm playing Neopets for nostalgia reasons again. I'm so surprised that my username of choice was available at all. Can't remember any of my old ones, unfortunately. But oh well! I got the cool username and that's all that matters. The fact that it's also the name of a song by Ghost makes this one easier to remember.

I'll look into it sometime, thanks! ❤️ 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* "𝓞𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓼𝓹𝓲𝓻𝓲𝓽, 𝓵𝓸𝓸𝓴 𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝓶𝔂 𝓮𝔂𝓮𝓼..." *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

CanIchangeThisNow.gif.3cc132fc36ffefb29c4d6749edcd9e2e.gif

Started (and finished) a delightfully wonderful show today with @KingLeonhartofTheDawn called "Hilda" on Netflix. It was amazing and funny, and witty, and imaginative and just a beautiful show. It's about a blue haired little girl who interacts with trolls and other creatures of Scandinavian folklore with her pet deer-fox Twig. 

The characters are funny, likeable, and witty and it really makes you want to keep watching even though it keeps a light hearted tone. 

Plus the art style is really cute and the music is killer! Love the music so much!

//Fenrir//

The Knight Of The Shining Emperor-King
             The Dark Thief Of Knowledge ~ The Bound Beast Of Predation ~ The Paradox Loremaster ~ The Digital God Of The Black Waters

Guest Metakka

I think the original Lion King is responsible for people thinking hyenas are related to dogs. They used a bunch of canine sounds for them.

Guest KingLeonhartofTheDawn
17 hours ago, KnightFenrirWulfhart said:

Started (and finished) a delightfully wonderful show today with @KingLeonhartofTheDawn called "Hilda" on Netflix. It was amazing and funny, and witty, and imaginative and just a beautiful show. It's about a blue haired little girl who interacts with trolls and other creatures of Scandinavian folklore with her pet deer-fox Twig. 

The characters are funny, likeable, and witty and it really makes you want to keep watching even though it keeps a light hearted tone. 

Plus the art style is really cute and the music is killer! Love the music so much!

It really was a good show! I'm glad I came across it. See, me scrolling through Twitter does some good. Sometimes. 😉

OH GODS THE HOUSE PHONE RANG AND SAID WIRELESS CALLER SO I ANSWERED IT BUT ALL I HEARD WAS WEIRD NOISE SO I FIGURED IT WAS MY DAD MESSING AROUND AND SO I TOLD HIM I'D ALERT THE GENERAL HE'S RETURNED AND HUNG UP AND THEN THE NUMBER CALLED BACK AND SO WHEN I PICKED UP I SAID WE'D DEPLOYED CHUCK NORRIS BUT APPARENTLY IT WASN'T MY DAD IT WAS MY UNCLE BOTH TIMES TRYING TO REACH MY DAD AND I THREATENED HIM WITH THE ARMY AND CHUCK NORRIS HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN????

Hybrid Ink Being

Happily taken by Bendy himself

Follow my Blog!

Aa so we're becoming more open about being plural offline and someone complimented my voice! 

I do speak in a sort of singing way when I front! I'm finding people find the manner that I speak to be soothing and people seem to respond very positively to it! I think it might also have to do with me being nonhumans, my species of Andromedans do communicate by humming which in my case presents as the singing manner of speaking and I often hum to calm myself down~ 

-Autin [Andromedan]

I just watched a video about Closed Species, and thank you gods of art for this. Like, no, you cannot close a species, it doesn't work that way.

Like, if I like a species, and want to draw an OC of that species, nothing is going to stop me, because you can't copyright the species itself, and since I'm not selling it there's literally nothing anyone can do about it. eitherway. 

Same as if I wanted to draw a picture of someone else's OC, then it's just fanart, I'm not selling it, so I can't be sued for it.

There's a difference between being polite about someone's species or OCs, and claiming no one is allowed to make art of anything remotely resembling them. Most people who truly love art would be delighted to see people interested in their world enough to make characters in it, or to draw fanart of their pre-existing characters. When you are freaking out about it, it shows you aren't in it for the art, you're in it for the money or reputation.

Like it's good seeing people using reason and logic about this. It makes me happy. 🙂

//Fenrir//

The Dark Thief Of Knowledge ~ The Bound Beast Of Predation ~ The Paradox Loremaster ~ The Digital God Of The Black Waters

1 hour ago, KnightFenrirWulfhart said:

I just watched a video about Closed Species, and thank you gods of art for this. Like, no, you cannot close a species, it doesn't work that way.

Like, if I like a species, and want to draw an OC of that species, nothing is going to stop me, because you can't copyright the species itself, and since I'm not selling it there's literally nothing anyone can do about it. eitherway. 

Same as if I wanted to draw a picture of someone else's OC, then it's just fanart, I'm not selling it, so I can't be sued for it.

There's a difference between being polite about someone's species or OCs, and claiming no one is allowed to make art of anything remotely resembling them. Most people who truly love art would be delighted to see people interested in their world enough to make characters in it, or to draw fanart of their pre-existing characters. When you are freaking out about it, it shows you aren't in it for the art, you're in it for the money or reputation.

Like it's good seeing people using reason and logic about this. It makes me happy. 🙂

While admittedly no, there’s really nothing physically stopping anyone from making an OC with your closed species, I don’t think all closed species are 100% silly or ridiculous. While I’m not personally a fan of the super popular closed species “have to pay $200 to own one” you see on places like dA, I also know some people who have personal closed species because they’re writing stories and an entire world around the species, and having a rando make whatever they want up about a character belonging to that race wouldn’t mesh well with that. Again, nothing physically stopping them, but in that situation, usually the artist who owns the closed species will ask the person if they could not do that.

I wanted to mention that, although I do agree that the super popular closed species that earn the creator lots of dosh are ridiculous. Props to them for finding a way to make money, but I’m not interested in them at all, unless one is gifted to me.

- panthera onca -

57 minutes ago, Jethero said:

While admittedly no, there’s really nothing physically stopping anyone from making an OC with your closed species, I don’t think all closed species are 100% silly or ridiculous. While I’m not personally a fan of the super popular closed species “have to pay $200 to own one” you see on places like dA, I also know some people who have personal closed species because they’re writing stories and an entire world around the species, and having a rando make whatever they want up about a character belonging to that race wouldn’t mesh well with that. Again, nothing physically stopping them, but in that situation, usually the artist who owns the closed species will ask the person if they could not do that.

I wanted to mention that, although I do agree that the super popular closed species that earn the creator lots of dosh are ridiculous. Props to them for finding a way to make money, but I’m not interested in them at all, unless one is gifted to me.

I'm not a fan of closed species and I think the concept creates a bunch of needless drama. I'll go ahead and call out something in particular that I'm familiar with from the Furry Fandom: Dutch Angel Dragons. It's an extremely popular closed species created by Telephone (who I've got nothing against and seems like a sweet person, for the record) with preestablished lore and guidelines. A lot in the community have created characters that go against the lore and backstory, resulting in them getting flamed and attacked by fans. This has resulted in a split in the community where there are both Dutch Angel Dragons and Angel Dragons, with the former being closed and the latter being open.

Additionally, the concept of ownership of an entire species bothers me. It's one thing if the idea is highly specific and people are engaging in effortless copying and profiteering of unique art (ex. Sonic OCs that are literally main characters recolored), but to say you have ownership of the concept of fluffy dragons with wings is silly and you'll likely find copyright law disagrees with you. You can trademark "Dutch Angel Dragon" if you like, but you can't own the concept itself because it's simply non-original and is too likely to be discovered independently by others without infringement.

TL;DR - Closed Species are a big nope from me. 

Naia "Shiro" Ōkami (keybase)
Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

Yeah the only kinds of closed species I like are ones that are on the more original side, because I like the design potential, but those are incredibly rare, and the vast majority of closed species are closed because the only way in is with money, and that’s just ass. I mean, people have been paying to be part of exclusive clubs for hundreds of years, and this is really just the same thing, but because the people who are most interested in this sort of thing are kids/teens or young adults, the fact it’s money-driven makes it worse imo. The fact that kids make generic animal designs and other kids then go after them en masse because it’s too close to some other design is just, well, it’s very indicative of the drama side of the furry fandom lol.

- panthera onca -

I think if you're going to make a species, a few rules might be ok, because, species in real life all have certain traits and what not. But closing it completely is rude in my opinion. Personally, I do kinda want to make a species, but if I do it won't be closed and I'd only ask for some credit as a means of helping people find the home page to make one themselves.

Hybrid Ink Being

Follow my Blog!

I agree with Naia. You can copyright the name of the species. You can copyright a specific character. And you can only really sue someone if you have legally copyrighted it. They only cause drama, and enable the toxicity of the artist community.

That being said, however, I do believe in being decent about it, claiming you made the specific species name and lore is just not right, morally, but someone said it best in a comment. 

fcvgbhnjm.PNG.0a1010e7589d69940c17ba3dd27acde7.PNG

With the example about not wanting people to just make characters for their species if its for a story, well why are they putting it up public then? 

You can't own a species. The best example I saw used was "Me: Draws human character. God: That's my closed species! You can't draw that!"

Adoptables, though I don't believe in them, are legally acceptable on the sole understanding that once you buy it from them, you own all rights to that character (Also species characters you buy). You can do whatever you want with it, you can recolor it. You can change their designs, you can resell them or trade them, or even give them away. The original artist has no rights to it anymore, they forfeited that when they sold it to you. They can't tell you what to do with it, they can't take it back, they can't do anything unless they are selling you a license to the IP in questions, in which case it must be drawn up legally, paid for, and state exactly what can and can't be done.

But this is a discussion for another place, probably.

My second daily thought; beat swaps by Adam Emond and captioned by Whip are some of the funniest things on Youtube.

//Fenrir//

Goodbye old enemy. I once more am free of you. You are forgiven. May we both take better paths.

Hybrid Ink Being

Follow my Blog!

It's hard to revamp (haha I'm so punny) vampires into something new(ish) without losing what makes them vampires. 

Buuuuuuuut! I think I've come up with something unique enough to stand out, but similar enough to not just be vampire in name only. I'm actually interested in them, which surprises me.

Just gotta hammer out the details, then move on to the other dead ones. Looking forward to Phantoms and Spectres though. 😄

//Fenrir//

Phew! Today was the hottest day in Germany ever! Media reports that we've had over 108.5 °F (42.6°C). That's over 3°F more than yesterday which was already a record. I think people have to get used to this. I'm lucky that I can handle the heat quite well.

Western Guardian Dragon

10 hours ago, Amber said:

Phew! Today was the hottest day in Germany ever! Media reports that we've had over 108.5 °F (42.6°C). That's over 3°F more than yesterday which was already a record. I think people have to get used to this. I'm lucky that I can handle the heat quite well.

I've heard! That heatwave is like something we might see here...well, that's actually a bit hotter.

I guess that's where all the heat went this summer since it seems like it's actually been cooler than usual here. If I have to be in the heat I like to wear frozen washcloths on my neck. :cormorant2: I haaaaaaaaaate excessive heat especially if combined with humidity.

Anyway, I made corn on the cob!

Double-Crested Cormorant | Anhinga | Pachycephalosaurus

there is always a way - you just need to find it - if you can't find the way, make the way

Had a nice seminar, today and would have loved to stay there. I like to discuss about personality profiles 😊

On 8/1/2019 at 11:50 PM, Zicoxite said:

So now that I know what my true name is, what do I actually do with it?

Psst.. I would keep it secret. If someone calls you by that name one day, you'll know something's going on. Well that's at least what I'm doing, haha :biggrinderg:

Western Guardian Dragon

found the path!

now it's time to find another frickin path....

Double-Crested Cormorant | Anhinga | Pachycephalosaurus

there is always a way - you just need to find it - if you can't find the way, make the way