Hyphero

Kinmunity is officially phoenix-kin

Guest FaerieForged   
Guest FaerieForged

What I find irritating but rather amusing as well is I have to start fresh becaus the manual backup was done on the 11th, and I joined the 12th... oh well.

Mirath    284

I forgot just how much I'd added to my profile since that date. And although I'm kinda sad all the groups have completely gone, it's a new way to improve what we once had

• High Quality 1

Cipher    289

@FaerieForged Oh no! XD

I dropped off the rest of the Library articles for Shiro, so at least that can get filled back in. Too bad about the Blogs, though. But I do have a lot of the same stories I was talking about on mine saved up from conversations off-site, plus some new content I can add as well.

Gryff    428

Sad to see so much content lost. Also sad to see that I'm back to my old inaccurate title, and I lost the nifty "Elder" badge. But I'm glad we got things up and running so quickly.

Edit: Also it doesn't look like my Library article made it, but I can always re-submit if need be.

Velvet Wings    186

Anyone know if there's a pale background theme available at the moment?

My eyes find it hard t deal with a dark background so I'm struggling to read anything, which means I'm finding it hard to see if there's an option for it or not. :P

If not that's ok, I know a lot of things need to be added back in.

Mirath    284
Anyone know if there's a pale background theme available at the moment?

My eyes find it hard t deal with a dark background so I'm struggling to read anything, which means I'm finding it hard to see if there's an option for it or not. :p

If not that's ok, I know a lot of things need to be added back in.

Hm, try checking the Preferences option on your account, I think there's a way to change the site theme on there

EDIT: Ignore that, I can't find it either

ChanceKatt    9
Hm, try checking the Preferences option on your account, I think there's a way to change the site theme on there

EDIT: Ignore that, I can't find it either

Something for the re-awakened site's suggestion box?

Cipher    289
Maybe, but currently Shiro said on Discord that the theme can't be changed yet.

Ah, that's good to know. I figured there was a reason the theme was like this, but wasn't sure.

Velvet Wings    186
Maybe, but currently Shiro said on Discord that the theme can't be changed yet. Sorry @Velvet Wings, I tried

Ah, that's ok. Thanks Mirath. I know site themes probably aren't the most important thing at the moment, I can wait.

ChanceKatt    9
Do you have any idea how to prevent something like this from happening again? (Other than creating a backup every week)

From what I hear it was an error during an OS update that caused it, which (as far as I know) just happens sometimes when you update software and there's too big of a hiccup.

A weekly or bi-weekly backup stored on a different system seems like a no-brainer but I'm sure that has costs of its own. (How big, data wise, is Kinmunity anyways?)

Shiro    434
Do you have any idea how to prevent something like this from happening again? (Other than creating a backup every week)

From what I hear it was an error during an OS update that caused it, which (as far as I know) just happens sometimes when you update software and there's too big of a hiccup.

A weekly or bi-weekly backup stored on a different system seems like a no-brainer but I'm sure that has costs of its own. (How big, data wise, is Kinmunity anyways?)

I recall Shiro mentioning a few preventative measures in the original message.

A backup system was in place and has been in place since Kinmunity has existed. It was programmed to securely backup all the files involved with the site as well as the database daily at a certain time. These backups would then be securely sent to Tarsnap, which you can read all about their security practices here. The problem is the script I wrote was not properly generating the database backup, so instead a blank file was sent to Tarsnap instead of a file containing the database information. This issue has since been corrected and I can verify that backups are being performed correctly.

Additionally, to prevent this from happening again, I am performing routine manual backups just in case something happens with the automated system in the unforeseeable future. I am also routinely verifying the content of the database backups from the automated system for completeness.

# Kinmunity Backup Script

# Configuration
DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d-%T`
SQL_FILE="<UNDISCLOSED_PATH>"
BACKUP_ARCHIVE_NAME="kinmunity-$DATE"

# Set umask to secure dump
echo setting security permissions...
umask 077

# Dump MySQL DB
echo creating database dump...
/usr/bin/mysqldump --defaults-extra-file=<UNDISCLOSED_PATH> <UNDISCLOSED_DATABASE_NAME> > $SQL_FILE

# Perform Backup
echo sending the database dump and the files to tarsnap...
/usr/local/bin/tarsnap --keyfile <UNDISCLOSED_PATH> -P -c -f $BACKUP_ARCHIVE_NAME --exclude cache --exclude .svn <UNDISCLOSED_PATHS>

# Delete Dumped SQL File
echo deleting the temporary files...
rm-f $SQL_FILE
echo"woof! is the backup done? yes it is! who's a good woofy? you are!  now make sure there aren't any errors and get your belly rub!"

• High Quality 4