Are there any fictional characters you think of as Otherkin? - 💬​​​​​​​ Chit Chat - Kinmunity Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Are there any fictional characters you think of as Otherkin?

So, yeah.  Basically the title.  Are there any fictional characters that you tend to interpret as though they were Otherkin/Therian?

Some examples I can think of off the top of my head would be Ame and Yuki from Wolf Children.  For one thing, they can physical shift, something I definitely envy personally.  And yes, they are framed as quote on quote "werewolves" but they turn into full on wolves and not the anthro beasts you typically see in fiction.  Plus, much of the typical lore is missing here.  For one thing, Ame and Yuki often shift at will, though factors such as their emotions or environment still influences it (sound familiar?)  Plus, much of the conflict in that film comes from their struggles with trying to understand/relate to normal humans and trying (often failing) to keep their shifts under control lest they end up doing something they regret later.  I'm sure many of us can relate to the same sort of struggle in our own lives.

Another one for me would be Wolverine, for obvious reasons.

Finally, I like to think of Mowgli from the Jungle Book as Otherkin.  Granted, it's hard to see that in most versions of the story.  The original book is written in a very cryptic way.  The 1967 movie is too cartoonish.  and the Disney remake is too, well, Disney.  But there's a Netflix version that came out recently (December 2018) called "Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle" which really sells Mowgli as a Therian type of character.  Is he man?  Is he wolf?  Both?  Neither?  It's kind of unclear.  And that's the beauty of it.  As a human raised by wolves, he inhabits both worlds in equal measure.

Sorry, I'm rambling.  The point is, are there any characters you tend to think of as though they are Otherkin?  You don't even have to give a good reason for pointing to one character or another, just so long as it feels "right" to you.  For example, though I can't really give a good reason for it, Shego from Kim Possible always struck me as being snake like.

So what do you think?

Edited by Curious Canine

Guest Phase

I got bored and looked up "therian" in the books section of the Google search once. Found a book in which a character is canonically a cat therian. Though, I don't like how she is portrayed based on what I read from it. Cringey portrayal.

There is another book (I've read this one in full) that is more otherkin centric in general. Each character identifies as nonhuman.

As for outright characters who aren't obvious, don't know. Never really noticed many. Could argue that the main character from Steppenwolf is a therian, though. At the very least, I found him relatable when it comes to my own therian stuff (except for that damned canine thing he has going on).

I feel like a lot of 'feral children' characters in fiction would probably fall under therian of some sort. Big example I think of here is San from Princess Mononoke, who was raised by wolves and outright states she's a wolf in one scene.

A headcanon that was more popular a few years ago back when How To Train Your Dragon 2 first came out was that Hiccup and his mother were dragonkin. I can definitely see that too, plus it was nice seeing otherkin headcanons without the usual vitriol you get with them (the fandom was pretty chill about it). Several characters in Homestuck could also fall under therian or otherkin of some sort, according to my friend (I haven't read it myself). I feel like Tobias from Animorphs would probably also fall under hawk therian of some sort, despite the ability to shapeshift, but it's been a while since I've read the books. A lot of his thought processes reminded me of therian-related stuff though.

A book I read as a child called Panther in Argyll also had a lot of animal person themes in it that I consider pretty crucial in my gradual awakening, looking back on it now. It's about two teenagers who discover they have an ability called the animal spirit that lets them take on the shape of animals, both being melanistic leopards. However, it's considered a very alienating but wild thing and there isn't anything supernatural apart from the theme of shapeshifting itself, since both of them are more ruled by their instincts when transformed (eg. Urges to hunt and do other things humans find unsavoury). These parts especially reminded me of my own mental shifts. They also have to learn how to balance their more wild nature and come to terms with living in a human-dominated world, which really spoke to me, even at that young age.

Teleute | 22 | Divine/Fictionkind/Otherkind/Therian | Spiritually-inclined | Kemetic polytheist and witch

So this just hit me a few days ago.

What about the character Vincent from Hey Arnold . . . better known as "Pigeon Man"?  I guess it's possible that the guy is just Otherhearted, but he seems to act very pigeon like himself too.  I don't know.  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, Curious Canine said:

I'm pretty sure that he's literally just a zoroark in disguise.  He's not human at all.

What if he's a Zoroark that identifies as human? I mean, seeing as pokemon are depicted as intelligent enough to have a sense of identity 

Hybrid Ink Being

Happily taken by Bendy himself

Follow my Blog!

29 minutes ago, InkyDaily said:

What if he's a Zoroark that identifies as human? I mean, seeing as pokemon are depicted as intelligent enough to have a sense of identity 

Wouldn't that basically be a reverse otherkin though?  I mean, the term specifically refers to a human who identifies. at least in part, as a nonhuman.  Not the other way around.

2 minutes ago, Curious Canine said:

Wouldn't that basically be a reverse otherkin though?  I mean, the term specifically refers to a human who identifies. at least in part, as a nonhuman.  Not the other way around.

True, but I feel it'd still fit in with aspects of our community. *shrug*

Hybrid Ink Being

Happily taken by Bendy himself

Follow my Blog!

I wouldn't say she's otherkin per say but we have been reading Guardians of Ga'Hoole lately and I did notice Lutta has a lot of traits that are similar to otherkin and polykin in particular. Lutta is considered a changeling in the books and is able to shapeshift between different owl species. 

Myself and a few members of my system could relate to her struggling with her identity and what species she is. I was talking with Ivy about it and she said she could especially relate to it being polykin. A lot of the ways that her guardian Kreeth taught her to shapeshift were similar to how in our system we induce a shift (starting from the head and going down), and as someone who has four different forms they can take that is the method I use. 

-Rex (Missingno.) 

I've always interpreted Yoshiko/Yohane from Love Live! Sunshine as angelkin of some sort. I'm aware that she is supposed to be a sort of parody of those who never outgrew their "edgy" phase, but it's not done in way that's too disrespectful imo. She shows a lot of signs of being otherkin including expressing that she is an angel since she was a child, insisting that her friends refer to her as an angel. It's really cute when they do recognize her as having her own beliefs because it makes her really happy and it just fills me with so much joy 😁

There is also a wolf therian in the Netflix original show "Glow." I haven't watched it yet myself, but I found this nice interview with the therian character's actress where she is pretty respectful (albeit uses some kinda off terminology) in regard to the character's identity: 

• Like 3

Guest BlackStatic
On 12/20/2018 at 6:36 AM, Marrowbird said:

II feel like Tobias from Animorphs would probably also fall under hawk therian of some sort, despite the ability to shapeshift, but it's been a while since I've read the books. A lot of his thought processes reminded me of therian-related stuff though.

There are definitely signs of otherkin identity questioning throughout much of Tobias's character arc, especially with regards to the human mind vs hawk body and vice versa. I'd go so far as to say the entire series as a whole explores multiple areas of otherkin identity - Rachel's self esteem boost in her elephant morph, Aldrea's ending in the Hork-Bajir Chronicles, even Ax's fascination with human culture to an extent. And at a stretch... would it be fair to say that the yeerks taking on the identity of their hosts (to some extent, anyway) would share parallels with voluntary identity and -linking, or at least the concept of walk-in plural systems?

Animorphs aside, I can think of a few other characters that might fall under some kind of otherkin/therian/alterhuman trope:

• Tarzan  - gorilla therian; like mowgli was previously mentioned before in The Jungle Book, this one seems pretty self explanatory.
  • Jake Scully (Avatar) - human who feels more at peace living with the Na'vi on Pandora, rejects his human life in favour of living as his avatar body.
  • Kimba/Leo (Kimba The White Lion) - rejects the notion that he must be a predatory carnivore and instead works to introduce more human concepts to the jungle, eg. agriculture.
  • Stuart Little, Ratatouille, the mice in The Secret Of Nimh - rodents taking on human traits, trying to become more human.
  • Oliver (Oliver & Company) - cat who associates more closely with dogs.

Daine from the Immortals series could be interpreted as therian, though it's fuzzy because she's a demigod who can shapeshift into animals. She's definitely considered internally an animal by all the animals she meets, so the main question for me is whether she qualifies on the human side.

Guest MariaTheFictionkin
Posted (edited)

For a while I've been calling Isaac Foster (Zack) from the Angels of Death/Satsuriku no Tenshi series as some kind of demon. But after learning more about demons and hellions I decided that it would be more appropriate to label Zack as a hellion instead. I never virtually implemented another term besides demon because I merely didn't know what other terminology was out there that fit Zack's description of himself. Anyways, I explain both the canonical and my soulbond Zack since my Zack and his canonical counterpart have similarities and differences when it comes to being classified as a hellion.

These bullet points were from a website called, The Shadow Sage, which has a break down on the differences between demons and hellion. I will link it here: http://www.theshadowsage.com/hellions/

Anyways, let's begin;

Some of the traits and characteristics of hellions that are not shared by demonkin are as follows:

• Hellions tend to be more about dark stuff, destruction, corruption and the likes.

Canonical Zack: He definitely displays a deep passion for destroying things and causing mayhem. An example would be in episode two of the anime adaptation of Angels of Death where Zack couldn't resist destroying the tombstones surrounding him. So, he picked up a pickaxe and went to town, swinging and laughing.

Zack is a serial killer. I don't need to say anything more.

Soulbond Zack: Much like the canonical Zack in terms of his lust for destruction and other dark stuff.

• They claim to be under a higher demon than themselves.

Canonical Zack: I don't think Zack would ever claim to be under anyone other than himself. He's headstrong like that and would never think that anyone of any level of status would be above him.

Soulbond Zack: Same as canonical Zack

• Their memories, dreams and whatnot often consist of hell, fire, and hellfire.

Canonical Zack: There are only a few moments where we are able to see what Zack dreams about. These are mostly dreams of his experience being abused by his family, foster family and living on the streets as a kid with the occasional times where he's interacted with others. That's not to say he doesn't have dark, crazy dreams and "evil" considering that he is a murderer and the things he does is destructive and violent.

Soulbond Zack: I've dream-shared with Zack before numuruous times and I can say some of those dreams he has are dark, hellish and horrific. 

• They tend to be focused in one specific area that correlates with their type. For example, since possessions are commonly believed to be caused by demons, hellions are more likely to see identify with that?

Canonical Zack: There is no indication that states him being able to possess others.

Soulbond Zack: He believes to have the ability to possess other people, especially back when he was a "demon" from the Bird Box film/book. He's told me that even though he can possess people on this planet; I shouldn't trust whoever speaks to me is him. More so because, possessing takes a lot of energy for him to accomplish and is usually snapped out of the person's body after a certain period of time.

• Hellions tend to be where the evil misconception for all demonkin come from.

Canonical Zack: Now, I never heard anyone from the Angels of Death fandom or in the series call Zack a "demon". I know in the canon he called himself a "monster" and canonical Rachel Gardner called him a "god" and a "human" but nothing really denoting demons in anyway.

Soulbond Zack: He definitely fits the characteristics of the "stereotypical demon". And for a while that's what we had called him, a demon, until reading up on what hellions were.

• They are very selfish and narcissistic. They only focus on what they need or want and what others can provide for them.

Canonical Zack: I definitely would say that Zack is a bit of a narcissist and selfish. Maybe not on the levels of extremity in my eyes but, he does gloat a lot about how strong he is. He doesn't really care about the well-being of others and unless something he knows will benefit him in some way, Zack is more than likely to not be motivation to do things for others.

Soulbond Zack: Pretty much the same as canonical Zack.

Edited by MariaTheFictionkin
grammar fix