Fundraising - 🗳️​​​​​​​ The Voting Booth - Kinmunity Jump to content

Fundraising Poll  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which cost-offsetting methods would be acceptable to you? Select all that apply.

• Small Footer advertisements displayed to unregistered users.
    • Selling yearly VIP memberships for real money.
    • Selling packages of bones for real money.
    • Holding donation drives.
    • Granting a special virtual medal to donors.
    • Other (EXPLAIN IN A REPLY)
  2. 2. Of the methods below, which do you feel is the best option?

• Other (EXPLAIN IN A REPLY)
  3. 3. Of the methods below, which do you feel is the worst option?

As you may already be aware, Kinmunity costs money to run. We have to pay for: the server, the domain names (kinmunity and wulf howl), the IPS license, as well as for the various custom components that run on the site that were not created by our administration team. This isn't even counting the time and labor put towards custom coded components created by myself and by our staff team. On this current incarnation of the site (which opened on September 25th of 2019), I have spent well over $1000 of my own money. This does not include the many thousands I have spent between 2014 and 2017 on various updates and redesigns over the years.

With that said, the yearly upkeep cost to maintain the site in its current state (without any updates) is approximately $696.50. You can see how I get these numbers below:

Spoiler

Breakdown of one-time costs:

• $550 - IPS core license cost (core site framework)
  • $290 - component costs (14 custom components)

Breakdown of yearly costs:

• $190.00 - IPS license renewal costs (core site framework)
  • $324.00 - yearly server costs ($27.00 / month, OVH)
  • $35.00 - yearly domain costs (x2 domains, gandi.net)
  • $147.50 - yearly component renewal costs (10 custom components requiring renewal)

With this information in mind, and with the hopes that we continue to add features and evolve the site as it grows, I bring up the uncomfortable discussion of offsetting costs. Obviously, Kinmunity is free to use and will be forever and the goal here is not to make a profit off of the site, but rather to offset these yearly costs as much as possible. Therefore, I have the following ideas in mind:

• Showing Google AdSense advertising for guests who are not logged in; registering and logging in is free. We will not be making a pay-for "ad-free" version of the site if we use this option. There will be a small ad near our footer, and logging into an account gets rid of it.
  • Holding specific-goal donation drives. These will be held in order to meet a specific goal (a certain time period of hosting paid for, a group of existing or new component renewals paid for) when needed.
  • Awarding a special medal to donors over a certain dollar amount.

Would any of these be acceptable to our members? If so, which ones? Do you have any additional ideas? If so, reply! Please complete the poll as it helps us decide what to do going forward!

Naia "Shiro" Ōkami (keybase)
Site Administrator & Founder

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

(not sure if this is already a thing or has come up) An idea I had for "other" would possibly be having something custom made related at certain amounts. f.e. lets say user 123 has donated over 30$, they could have a choice between a custom wallpaper, painting, plush or something that's within reason.

I feel this discussion not uncomfortable at all.. it's a real life problem. Thanks to @Naia Okami for splitting up the cost, that'd have been the first thing I had asked. The two other communitites I'm in (non-otherkin related) seem to be financed by an association resp. an online shop. But I think this may be too complicated for us. Such things also have to be put on a legal basis.

6 hours ago, Muffin said:

they could have a choice between a custom wallpaper, painting, plush or something

Great idea. We could also turn it around: a member could "award" a donation for another member doing some artwork, or even researching a complex topic and writing a library article about it.

• Like 1

Western Guardian Dragon

I would have a suggestion for the footer banner; I think it's a bit weird if it's only shown for unregistered users. If, it should be shown to everybody and if you don't want to see the ad, you have to pay a little sum, but maybe not as recurring cost. A lot of sites have a "donate once, get premium forever" system. And well, I could imagine that the people who are online here, are willing to donate a bit from time to time anyway.

But I also like the idea with the goodies. While not necessarily a plush or something, but for my part, I'm a huge fan of stickers and other printed goodies. Maybe you could "sell" stickers or prints which were donated by users? They're rather cheap to dispatch and since it's not directly selling them, but rather a thank you for a donation, you should be able to legally send it as a gift. (But I think that was already discussed once? I'm not too sure anymore tho)

Another idea would be to just make the donations button more apparent. Until now I actually never saw that there was an option to actually donate money.

• Like 3

« Cockatiel | Inkling »
Huge Bird Friend

I agree to @Raphael - I wouldn't mind seeing some ads when they help to keep the site running. Does anyone know how much money you get for that?

Western Guardian Dragon

2 hours ago, Raphael said:

I would have a suggestion for the footer banner; I think it's a bit weird if it's only shown for unregistered users. If, it should be shown to everybody and if you don't want to see the ad, you have to pay a little sum, but maybe not as recurring cost. A lot of sites have a "donate once, get premium forever" system. And well, I could imagine that the people who are online here, are willing to donate a bit from time to time anyway.

A vast majority of users these days utilize a form of AdBlock. It is possible to attempt to block users who are using AdBlock from performing certain actions on the site, but I personally believe such measures are annoying and hostile. I'm personally not a fan of advertisements at all and I utilize AdBlock myself. If we utilize any form of advertisements, they will only be shown to unregistered users for these reasons.

12 hours ago, Amber said:

We could also turn it around: a member could "award" a donation for another member doing some artwork, or even researching a complex topic and writing a library article about it.

I like the idea very much, and will consider it. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Amber said:

I wouldn't mind seeing some ads when they help to keep the site running. Does anyone know how much money you get for that?

The other issue with advertisements is that the amount of money made from them is very negligible at best.

2 hours ago, Raphael said:

Another idea would be to just make the donations button more apparent.

I could place a link in the footer, or I can place donation goals on the index of the site. What would be more acceptable?

Kinmunity is supported as a labor of love by its staff team, with contributions from users all over the world. If our community means something to you, please consider donating. Donations help off-set the costs to run the site, as well as fund new features!

20 hours ago, Naia Okami said:

If we utilize any form of advertisements, they will only be shown to unregistered users for these reasons.

Ahh, in that case I can understand it! To be fair, I'm an adblock user as well and don't appreciate sites that won't let you do anything with the adblock - But most of the time it's shady sides anyway.

I think many other people here would be willing to turn off their adblock on this site, as I doubt any shady advertisements would be made on here.

20 hours ago, Naia Okami said:

I could place a link in the footer, or I can place donation goals on the index of the site. What would be more acceptable?

I think a link in the footer would be nice. Maybe a little bit bigger. I don't know about the others, but I always scroll all the way down whenever I am on a website to get myself familiar with the website. And if I like the site and like using the service, I will also consider about donating money - And if the link is easily available it's a double plus.

• Like 1

« Cockatiel | Inkling »
Huge Bird Friend

I have recently created a new donation goal for a dark theme

• a small notice appears towards the top of the page for five days

Is this acceptable for short-term donation goals?

I am on a neutral basis with selling VIP memberships, but I don't like the idea of selling bones. Bones are a means of showing us how active you are and how much you really involve yourself in the site. It is an award system which I feel should be kept as something special you get by really engaging yourself in something you really care about, in helping others with who they are. I really do get the need for money and I do plan on donating some time, but maybe there is something else we can do that can replace the selling of bones. If I think of any good ideas, I will be sure to message you and tell you my ideas. I wish you and this site the best of luck, it really means so much to us (I know it does to me) I love this site! I just want to see the best for it, and knowing it is in the hands of somebody who really cares for what they are doing, means a lot to me. Good days ahead -Kamoe

• Like 2

Fur cold~Heart warm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arctic Wolf, Black Shuck, Harpy

39 minutes ago, Kamoe said:

I am on a neutral basis with selling VIP memberships, but I don't like the idea of selling bones. Bones are a means of showing us how active you are and how much you really involve yourself in the site. It is an award system which I feel should be kept as something special you get by really engaging yourself in something you really care about, in helping others with who they are. I really do get the need for money and I do plan on donating some time, but maybe there is something else we can do that can replace the selling of bones. If I think of any good ideas, I will be sure to message you and tell you my ideas. I wish you and this site the best of luck, it really means so much to us (I know it does to me) I love this site! I just want to see the best for it, and knowing it is in the hands of somebody who really cares for what they are doing, means a lot to me. Good days ahead -Kamoe

Based on the feedback, we will not be selling bones. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 10:01 PM, Naia Okami said:

I think any of those is OK as long as it's not a huge thing or floating-like widget which is always visible if you scroll the site... People should see it, but it shouldn't be annoying.
I agree that bones shouldn't be sold.

• Like 1

Western Guardian Dragon