Abby

As an otherkin, what are your beliefs about being an otherkin?

Abby    0

Hi everyone! I've posted here before about a research project I am doing about the otherkin community. I had great responses, did several really fun interviews, and met some really awesome people. If you would like to contribute and share your beliefs about being otherkin, I have a survey I would love for some of you to fill out. It is completely anonymous, about 20 questions, and almost entirely multiple choice. On top of that, every question is completely optional. If you're 18 years old or older, feel free to fill it out if you're interested. If I get enough interest, I could post some information about the results if anyone is curious.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Here's the link!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KzPAuxaNnGyKa0iBmHdxL0EDAx2W2q5O6HMpIJLFGD0/viewform?usp=send_form[1]

Silas    6

Done. Had to redo the question about inanimate objects being kin because my first response had a high sodium chloride concentration :/

Done. Had to redo the question about inanimate objects being kin because my first response had a high sodium chloride concentration :/

High salt content. What are you on about?

Silas    6
High salt content. What are you on about?

I was being salty :P That was a joke. A shameless, shameless joke.

:embarrassedwolf:

I think that being an otherkin, to a great degree, means reflecting our material lives in a way that relates to us either emotionally or personally. Something like mental health or gender for otherkin can take on a different character that runs parallel to our material realities, if we are trans people, or if we are autistic, and so on and so forth. And for many, this might not be the only definition, or it might not be the definition for them. But for me, it makes sense that being any kind of otherkin reflects the phenomena in our lives.

Ill have to fill it out when im home as it doesnt work to well on mobile. I feel as though being otherkin is the ability to understand more and experience more. I believe that otherkin are born with one or two spirits in their body. Myself i have one spirit, a wolf. I have grown up as human and it is normal but my instincts never left and some things just trigger a reaction. A forest for instance makes me want to run. The clear night sky makes me want to howl (howling at the moon is silly). Some others have two or more spirits within them. This is what native americans believe to be a totem animal or spirit animal/guide it might also appear as a multiple system but it might be different. But this is where you have a human and animal spirit inside of you and either spirit can be called forward if assistance is needed for something that the other cannot do. As well as either spirit becoming the inner voice. Or regarded as a twin spirit. In my mind the two spirits will influence the other and they will have been together since birth. Its a deeper meaning for me than most i feel. I can talk more about it or answer questions in a pm if youd like

Gryff    428

I too can't answer until I get home, but for the benefit of the forum, here's my take. It's actually a pretty simple one. Essentially, for myself and similar kin, I think it comes down to a spirit put into the wrong body. I don't claim to know if there are any supernatural entities guiding the universe, but if so, they mess up sometimes. That's my belief in a nutshell.

Kaijara    0
I too can't answer until I get home, but for the benefit of the forum, here's my take. It's actually a pretty simple one. Essentially, for myself and similar kin, I think it comes down to a spirit put into the wrong body. I don't claim to know if there are any supernatural entities guiding the universe, but if so, they mess up sometimes. That's my belief in a nutshell.

Agreed. This is how I look at it. I just have the wrong body...

It actually helps me look at positives when I am down for various reasons. I was given a body with the capability of thought and oposable thumbs. I am a bigger asset to my species now than I ever could have been

Gryff    428

I can't really say the same, or at least not to the same degree, but it's good to have a positive outlook.

So we were skimming around on the otherkin subreddits and found the results to this survey. They posted it on reddit but not on the site. I'm not sure when they were posted so some of yalls newer stuff may not be on these results. But here ya go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz5ZHVD-qTcAVVl4OHM0R1JkeG8/edit

~Jessie

Gryff    428

It's definitely an interesting survey, but after I finally looked at it yesterday, it seemed like it should have been more open form, you know?

Magic    97

Is it just me, or do therians/kin aged 60+ seem interesting? I've never met one, although I got an email from one inquiring about a group which never responded to me. I'd love to meet and converse with an older kin.

Also, the fact 42.6% of those who filled out the form said that otherkin exist for coping reasons strikes a nerve.

It's definitely an interesting survey, but after I finally looked at it yesterday, it seemed like it should have been more open form, you know?

I have to agree with you on that one Gryff. They could have been more open. They left a lot of things untouched.

Is it just me, or do therians/kin aged 60+ seem interesting? I've never met one, although I got an email from one inquiring about a group which never responded to me. I'd love to meet and converse with an older kin.

Also, the fact 42.6% of those who filled out the form said that otherkin exist for coping reasons strikes a nerve.

I was actually surprised to see that with the responses we got on this site. The part that I'm more upset about is that some believe it's a choice.

~Jessie

Magic    97
I was actually surprised to see that with the responses we got on this site. The part that I'm more upset about is that some believe it's a choice.

~Jessie

Most of them believe it's a choice.. it's ridiculous that this idea is spreading about us.

Ecione    17

"Why do you believe some people identify as otherkin?"

I agree that the answers to that question are pretty disappointing. :/ What's interesting, though, is the wording. I'm sure most of the respondees interpreted the question as "Why are people otherkin", but it could be that some people thought that the question had to do with usage of the label itself or identifying as otherkin when one isn't otherkin. The wording of the question probably had a minimal effect on the results, but it's possible that some people answered as they did due to a misunderstanding (which could provide an explanation for some of the odd answers).

"Why do you believe some people identify as otherkin?"

I agree that the answers to that question are pretty disappointing. :/ What's interesting, though, is the wording. I'm sure most of the respondees interpreted the question as "Why are people otherkin", but it could be that some people thought that the question had to do with usage of the label itself or identifying as otherkin when one isn't otherkin. The wording of the question probably had a minimal effect on the results, but it's possible that some people answered as they did due to a misunderstanding (which could provide an explanation for some of the odd answers).

Actually, now that I look at that, you do have a point. It could simply be why they feel some people do instead of why they feel they do.

~Jessie

Stephanie    6
So we were skimming around on the otherkin subreddits and found the results to this survey. They posted it on reddit but not on the site. I'm not sure when they were posted so some of yalls newer stuff may not be on these results. But here ya go.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz5ZHVD-qTcAVVl4OHM0R1JkeG8/edit

~Jessie

I have to agree with you on that one Gryff. They could have been more open. They left a lot of things untouched.

~Jessie

Thanks to Spiritual Hunters for posting the results. I will take a look very soon. However, I am curious as to how you all feel about the questions that were asked - as seen in the quotes above, some feel that certain things were ignored. Can you expand on what, exactly, was disappointing to you about the questions, and what types of questions you feel would be more relevant? Thanks in advance!

P.s. I also agree that the wording about "choice" should be changed - that is very bothersome. Very good point made there!