StarQuarts

I am honestly so scared for America's wellfare

Trump is racist and sexist and Hillary is a filthy liar. I am terrified. Us, America, have become so judgemental and stupid that we ended up voting for the worst two people in the world. It's giving me a headache just to have to watch this reality TV show on the news every day because of my uncle. It's sad. What do you guys think?

Being a minor I can't vote so I don't really have a say in this in the first place. I'm sure what has to happen will happen regarding the election but it's really not my place to say anything about it.

I don't want either in office, but I voted Hillary just because I can say I voted against trump, so I did my part in saving the country from ww3 when he looses. and I disagree with him on everything, so that's a bonus. if trump becomes president, it will officially be the end of the world. XD

Not an American citizen, but we've seen plenty enough on the presidential debates across the pond here in England. Even from across here I'm worried, because whoever becomes president has a major influence across the world and my country will also be affected, albeit much less so.

I dislike both Hillary and Trump for many reasons (I could write an entire saga), both have their flaws and neither have many redeeming qualities to make up for it. I feel so awful for you guys, the choices are both horrendous to different extremes. Although I think if I were over there I'd vote for Hillary, don't like her one bit, but she has experience where Trump hasn't, and although I think most of what Trump says is for entertainment value and bluffing, I wouldn't want to take the risk.

I'm not too worried and here's why: I see a lot of worry about our future. Sounds counterintuitive, but I feel like it means we'll be prepared for bad things to happen. It's like how (it seems, anyway) thinking a storm is going to be really bad means people get ready and/or evacuate early. I feel like all of us who are concerned are going to have something to unite over, and maybe we can support each other. I hope this makes sense, I'm reading it and it sounds weird but I'm not sure how else to say it.

This is why the US needs a govenor general, like Australia has. The Aussie govenor general has "reserve powers" which include:

1. The power to appoint a Prime Minister if an election has resulted in a ‘hung parliament’;
  2. The power to dismiss a Prime Minister where he or she has lost the confidence of the Parliament;
  3. The power to dismiss a Prime Minister or Minister when he or she is acting unlawfully; and
  4. The power to refuse to dissolve the House of Representatives despite a request from the Prime Minister.

From what I've seen 2 and 3 above would be very useful to the US after this election.

• High Quality 1

you're right, everyone abandon ship, America's going down. XD but seriously, if trump becomes president, it's ww3, if Hillary is president, well, the middle east will try to walk over us, or something else bad will happen. welcome to the to a rock and a hard place, the titanic will take of shortly, thank you. I hope Canada has more room, that's where I'll be headed. XD

Guest FaerieForged

The presidency for the next four years might make me not want to go back. I moved to the UK for study, and while I could have voted I sent in my application for an absentee ballot too late. I would have voted for Hillary, because I agree with more of her policies and I like that she and Bernie have been planning out new bills to help the economy and students. I do not stand for anything that Trump represents at all. And the two third-party candidates are just useless and I while I agree with a few more of their policies than Trump's, Hillary has the best chance of actually continuing the work that President Obama has implemented that is starting to bring our country into a strong standing point again. I also could not justify voting for a racist, misogynistic, bigoted, homophobic, hateful man like Trump. Sure, Hillary's people used the wrong email server. But there are multiple Presidents who deleted emails or did "shady" things that they technically should not have. And Bush openly outed an undercover CIA agent. No president is perfect (except Lincoln, he was best president). But I'll take her over Trump 1000 times over.

We survived both Bushes and Reagan; we'll survive Trump. Hillary could very well start a world war, from her background with the MIC (Military Industrial Complex) and her stance on Iran. War is profitable, and she'll have a place in their ranks once she's out of office again (if there's anything left.)

Trump is hated by the establishment on "both sides" and won't be able to get anything done while in office. If you've seen anything of the obstructionism going on against Obama by the Republican House and Senate, then you've not seen anything yet to come with how they'll refuse Trump. Hillary will have difficulties, too, yet because she's not "left" in the least, she'll likely get more through the House and Senate.

Plus, the single time I ever believed anything Trump ever uttered was one quip where he basically stated once he was in the Oval Office, that he'd just "blow off" the job. He never truly wanted to be President; it was always a stunt with him. If he makes it anyway, he won't be running the White House. It will be Bush Jr. all over again, and Pence (like Cheney) will be running things.

I'm voting Green.

And remember, if everyone who ever said third parties can't win would just go ahead and vote for the third parties, they'd likely win ;)

• High Quality 1

Guest FaerieForged
I'm voting Green.

And remember, if everyone who ever said third parties can't win would just go ahead and vote for the third parties, they'd likely win ;)

I feel as though that would simply secure the House's vote for president rather than vote a third party candidate into office. If no one receives 270 electoral votes then choice goes to the House. And it did so in 1824 when John Quincy Adams was voted into office even though he had less votes than Andrew Jackson (in the popular vote).

I will not be shamed into voting for one of the two evils. I do not like either of them, and I used to call myself a democrat. They failed me this primary season, and won't be getting my votes. Thankfully, the Greens are on the ballot for several offices here in Texas. I've learned they didn't get on the ballot at all in California, and they have a far more liberal and larger population than we do. Texas seems to be desiring a change from the status quo...

I live in the US, and it makes me crazy that this is what we narrowed it down to. However, I will still be voting for Hillary. The US is a mess, and I hate it, but you have to try and make the best out of things by staying informed.

I may be in a position where I won't be too harmed by a trump presidency, but there are other people who are not as fortunate as I am. I am reminded of the First They Came... poem. We may have lived through Reagan, we may have lived through Bush, but I would rather not take the risk on Trump.

The fact of the matter is that a vote not cast for the "Lesser of two evils" is actually a vote for the greater of the two evils. Let's create a theoretical scenario in which the US is comprised of 300 voters, 148 people vote Trump, and the other 152 vote Hillary, then Hillary wins. However, if those same 148 people vote for Trump, and 146 vote Hillary, and the other 6 vote 3rd party because #neverhillary, congrats, trump won.

Furthermore, a vote for a third party is a wasted vote because the electoral college makes it literally impossible for a 3rd party candidate to win.

I don't like Hillary, but I voted for her. I put in my research and while she may have her negative points, a lot of that was a smear campaign by conservatives.

However, looking into Trump, I have found a whole lot more than most people would care to read through, and it makes me sick to my stomach.

To all the people who say "Hillary is corrupt, and she lied about the e-mails", Trump has done worse. Hillary was investigated by the FBI and absolved of the blame, Trump, not so much. A lot of the "Lying" that Hillary has had to do is because she was put in a place where she had to. If she didn't lie, then more lives would be put at risk.

I would much rather have ANY other candidates than what we have, but at the moment we can't cherry-pick for the perfect candidate, we have to look for the shiniest of two turds. I am more than willing to say that I would FAR FAR rather have Hillary than Trump. Hillary is by far not the perfect candidate, (although she has 98% the same policies as Bernie Sanders, who I was originally going to vote for).

I am not here to coerce, bribe, or force anyone to vote a certain way, but I am saying that you should vote mindfully. The television only shows the stories that would get the most views, cause the most drama, etcetera. While I am VERY biased in this post, I do encourage people to take what I say with a grain of salt, take any articles you read with a grain of salt, and to try and gain a fuller picture of the issue before you cast your vote.

• High Quality 1

If Clinton 2.0 becomes president, this country is doomed. Not only is she an incompetent security risk and a blatant, hipocritical liar, she'll sell her power to the highest bidder in an effort to make herself rich. Slick Willy did it, and she'll do it, too. Self-destruct sequence complete in 3... 2...

If Trump becomes president, we'll have elected a bloviating prick with a penchant for my-way-or-the-highway tantrums, though at least he's not a beltway insider, an epitome of the DC political elite. He's already as rich as anybody could ever want to be, but hey, why not make a bit more on the side, eh? You've got to fund your wall somehow. Buyer's remorse in 3... 2...

Gary Johnson! Libertarians have been gaining steam over the past few elections, and while I personally think they need a lot more "brand recognition" as it were, "go big or go home" still applies. Yes, he's flawed - who isn't. But I'd bet a paycheck less than 10% of the country knew what Aleppo was before --gasp-- he didn't know? With the other two hobgoblins as options, this is where I put my vote. If the Libertarian ticket can get 15% of the popular vote, we'll be eligible for federal campaign funding (why does our government fund campaigns to begin with???) in 2020. You never know... Abraham Lincoln was a third-party candidate, after all!

• High Quality 1

Guest FaerieForged
I will not be shamed into voting for one of the two evils. I do not like either of them, and I used to call myself a democrat. They failed me this primary season, and won't be getting my votes. Thankfully, the Greens are on the ballot for several offices here in Texas. I've learned they didn't get on the ballot at all in California, and they have a far more liberal and larger population than we do. Texas seems to be desiring a change from the status quo...

Oh, no! Forgive me if it came across as shaming you. I was simply commenting on my beliefs of what may happen were a percent of people to begin voting third party. I hope you vote for whomever your conscious directs you to.

I think the system is rigged for a two party outcome, though, which is why no third party candidate has ever won. I dislike the Electoral system and think it should be based on popular, individual votes. Rather than on the collective vote of a state that's granted a number based on population.

Hillary is the most corrupt politician and will transfer more and more power to the government in a soft tyranny.

Trump is a loose cannon that the republicans deserve.

Then there's Gary Johnson, cause 240 years ago our nation chose peace, prosperity and liberty. Even if he won't win, he's got my vote. I'm done with being a victim of government.

• High Quality 1

Oh, no! Forgive me if it came across as shaming you. I was simply commenting on my beliefs of what may happen were a percent of people to begin voting third party. I hope you vote for whomever your conscious directs you to.

I think the system is rigged for a two party outcome, though, which is why no third party candidate has ever won. I dislike the Electoral system and think it should be based on popular, individual votes. Rather than on the collective vote of a state that's granted a number based on population.

Okay, I misunderstood.

I agree that the system does it's best to keep out third parties. They changed the rules of what it takes to get included in the Presidential debates after Ross Perot had his strong showing. It went from 5% polling support of the population to 15% when it looked like Nader was going to have more than the 5% originally needed. In 2000 they forcibly removed Nader from the site of one of the debates even though he had been invited there for an interview by the press. Same thing happened to Stein this year.

The third parties are going to make a much stronger showing this time, though I won't be surprised if the media doesn't report any of it. They've never consistently reported Stein's polling numbers, often lowering them when they were "too high" through weighted polling techniques.

I agree on the fact that we need to dump the electoral college. It was a bad idea from the very beginning, seemingly meant as a fall-back in case the people voted in ways they weren't "supposed" to.

And really, for the election of federal offices, the ballot needs to be exactly the same and on the same brand of voting machine in every single state. States can do what they want for state offices and those elections, but federal elections need to be standardized across the country. Then we could implement IRV (Instant Runoff Voting) ;)

• High Quality 1

I mean, Gary Johnson, after reading up on some of his policies, just because he slapped the label of "Libertarian" on himself doesn't mean that he is progressive. While I wasn't able to dig up as much dirt on him as I was able to for Hillary or Trump, he still is not that appealing of a candidate.

Anyone who is opposed to combating climate change because "one day the sun will destroy the earth" has immediately lost my vote. His logic was "One day the sun will grow and envelop the earth. So global warming is inevitable", despite the overwhelming evidence that that is in billions of years and that the global warming we face today is man-made.

And I won't even get started on Jill Stein.

Trump is an idiot, is a racist demagogue, and is woefully unfit to be president. Gary Johnson is... he is a better decision than Trump, but still pretty awful imo. Jill Stein thinks that the economy works by magic. Hillary is corrupt and is a liar, but at least she has political experience that far surpasses anyone else. Being president isn't a "learn as you go" sort of thing, and I would like someone with experience. Again, my opinions, you are free to yours, and I am not here to tell you how to vote. All four candidates are awful, it's a matter of polishing turds at this point.

• High Quality 1

Oh no, Gary Johnson is not progressive at all. Progressive is entirely the opposite of what I want. Strict constitutional government is what I classify as piece, prosperity and liberty.

Voicing who I'm going to vote for publicly just does not seem like a smart choice in this election so I'm going to opt out of that. This election is definitely going to be a game changer no matter who we decide, that much is clear. The Democratic and Republican parties both have a very vested interest in getting their own nominee elected... and the third party turnout should also be interesting for this election. However its sad to see how much character assassination is going on during this election. Its sad to see the fear mongering and the shaming happening on social media. I'm half tempted to shut out all talk of the election until after its said and done (I have made my decision, after all) but I know that it won't end there. No matter what happens, I feel like the country will divide into two groups and there will be more disharmony than ever before. Hell, its happening all over the world right now.

• High Quality 1

Guest FaerieForged

I'm definitely concerned about the likelihood of a nuclear fallout. One of two things is going to happen. Trump will be elected and it will be four years of his instability and man-child tantrums. Or Trump will not be elected and we will have ages of his instability and man-child tantrums because he is not president combined with his radical supporters (unfortunately that seems to be the majority of them) throwing man-child tantrums.

Just thought I'd chime in on the Electoral College and a few other esoteric machinations of our government.

It's unlikely the Electoral College is ever going away, because it allows the states to still have an element of control in federal government. The 17th Amendment stripped state legislatures of the power to send Senators to represent their states to Washington, and instead made them elected by the state's population - the same as the House of Representatives. Essentially what that amounts to is taking away representation for the state's interests in the federal government, and doubling the representation of the citizens. The stroke of a pen, and France now has more representation in our federal government (through ambassadors) than North Carolina does.

Fun fact - you have no right to vote for President. The Constitution allows each state to choose the manner in which Electors are chosen - it just so happens that all states currently use a "popular vote" system to do it. If you watch live coverage of the election, they'll talk about how some states award 100% of the Electors to whoever gets more than 50% of the vote, while other states award Electors based on whatever percentage of the popular vote a candidate receives. The Democrat gets 40% of the popular vote? They get 40% of the electors. What's interesting about the way the constitution is written is the fact that if Kansas, tomorrow, decided they were going to appoint all of their electors by flipping coins, heads for Democrat, tails for Republican, they can legally do it. There would be riots and the system would immediately be changed! But they could do it. The Electoral College allows states to maintain a little bit of influence in federal government, as does the allowable methods to amend the Constitution.

States still have some control, in that if 3/4 of the states approve an amendment to the Constitution, they can override Congress and change federal law. The fact that sovereign states can alter federal law frightens the federal politicians, because it takes power away from them. Anything that takes power from the Clintons and the Reids and the Trumps and the McCains is anathema - and probably for the best, in my humble opinion.

But then, if I'd been around in 1787, I would have sided with the antifederalists - I don't trust central governments that just try to secure more and more power for themselves.

Normally I know better than to get into this argument here, but given the situation, I'm going to repeat what I posted on Facebook:

The election is coming up in less than a week. If you're planning to do anything other than voting for Hillary Clinton, you need to listen. Trump is going to be terrible for all of us. Not voting, or voting for a third party, will only help him. If you don't believe me, believe the polls. The likelihood of Trump winning has increased a lot because of undecided voters and people voting for third parties. The fact is, if you're not voting, it will help Trump. The fact is, third party candidates will not win this election. We all know this. If you vote for a third party, maybe you'll feel good about it for a little while, but you'll regret it when the country and the world pay the price.

We all have to do our duty to stop Trump. He will not be good for anyone, and we can't hand him the election by not voting for the only person who can beat him. So whatever you think about Hillary Clinton, put it aside for now. I know that's not how voting is supposed to work, but the alternative is worse. I don't like the two party system, but a protest vote is not going to fix it. Fight for third parties and independents in lower ticket races, and it will build up from there. Don't waste your vote in the Presidential race when it's so badly needed.

• High Quality 3

And I directly disagree with that sentiment, because I honestly and truly believe that Hillary would be far worse for the united states and the world than Trump. While I believe it is any good red blooded American's job to stop Hillary, it is my lament that our most likely way to defeat the worst possible threat to befall the nation that seeks to lead the free world lies in Donald Freaking Trump

--- Post updated ---

People should additionally not interpret my very lengthy list of reasons to truly believe Hillary is essentially Palpatine as me supporting Trump.

I'm Libertarian, the only thing I find more detestable than Donald Trump is the politician who took his money and was bought out for who knows how many favors and misdeeds.

• High Quality 2