Guest Anonymous Demon

Unusual first words as a baby?

Question

Guest Anonymous Demon

I've asked myself if otherkin generally or more likely speak an unusual first word as a baby. I'm demonkin and my first word as a baby was the german word for "have" (though incorrectly spoken). I would point at things I wanted and say "Have!". Even though I'm professionally diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and one of the traits associated with Autism is babies NOT pointing at things they want. What are your thoughts on this?

5 answers to this question

Baby's first words can sometimes be pretty weird. They don't necessarily have to do anything with their personality and especially not with their identity. Most of the time it's just what their parents/caretakers say a lot, so they mimic those words as their first ones.

Mom/Dad/Mama/Papa are quite usual, as parents often refer to themselves as such when they're talking to their kid. And if a baby hears a word a lot it associates with their parents, well, it will use that as one of their first words, as those people are the baby's whole world.

Maybe your parents used a lot of "Haben" in your presence, or you quickly understood what the word meant - As it's very usual in babies to want to take things and feeling them, just to get a better understanding of the world.

I don't think there's a lot of correlation there. Babies first words depend on the upbringing and what the parents say. If your parents aren't constantly going "say daddy" or talking about themselves in third person, then the baby won't say those things. Maybe your parents spoke to you normally, and you just picked up on the word quickly?

My first word was avocado 😛

I agree with everyone else. I don’t think someone’s kin identity really has an effect on their first words, though some’s behavior as a young child/toddler probably would be.