Welcome to Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an online community resource for otherkin, therianthropes, the other-hearted, vampires, plural systems, and others with non-human identities. By signing up, you'll be able to participate in the largest and most active otherkin community on the internet. We provide forums, personal profiles, blogs, an image gallery, and a live chatroom to our registered members. Signing up is really fast, why not join us? All are welcome on Kinmunity!

Starborn

Artists or bands you suspect could be 'kin

So, the song 'Where The Stars Belong' by Wolfgun has been one of my main go-tos for kinfeels for a while now, and on a whim today I started venturing into their other albums and music, and a lot of their lyrics seem to point to the possibility that they could be alienkin as well.

Though I am aware that a lot of the meaning we take from songs and their lyrics are entirely subjective to our own thoughts, feelings, and experiences and may not have been intended to be about the things we read into them, I don't think it is impossible to think that there could be songs that genuinely are in regards to being 'kin. The otherkin community has been around for a couple decades now, and as it grows older and so too its members, the possibility of therians and otherkin joining bands and creating music about their identities becomes more probable.

There is, in fact, a death metal song called '[GLOSSARY]Therianthropy[/GLOSSARY]' by a band called Septic Flesh that has lyrics that sound like they very well could be about therianthropy.

Are there any musicians, artists, or bands that you suspect could possibly be therians or otherkin? Or even just single songs/tracks that strongly suggest they could be referring to having a nonhuman identity?

[media]

[/media]

[media]

[/media]

I saw a theory a few years back on some [GLOSSARY]otherkin[/GLOSSARY] forums I was on that Lady Gaga may be unicornkin, mainly because her Born This Way album had a lot of unicorn symbolism and there was a song about one (plus she even did that photoshoot where she was a unicorn centaur). And she loves unicorns a lot and has a tattoo of one, but I think it more points towards her being unicorn-hearted than anything.

Another popular theory I keep seeing cropping up all the time is that John Denver was a bird of prey [GLOSSARY]therian[/GLOSSARY], probably hawk or eagle of some kind. Mainly because a lot of his songs reference eagles but I'm not too sure since I haven't personally listened to many. It's fun to speculate though ^^

When I was a kid, I developed a theory that Linkin Park (my favorite band) were kin, or at least one of them. I identified so much with a lot of their songs, and I still do.

This will be a theory based on a single music from Bruce Dickinson: Tears of the Dragon.

[spoiler=Lyrics]

Tears of the Dragon

For too long now, there were secrets in my mind

For too long now, there were things I should have said

In the darkness...I was stumbling for the door

To find a reason - to find the time, the place, the hour

Waiting for the winter sun, and the cold light of day

The misty ghosts of childhood fears

The pressure is building, and I can't stay away

I throw myself into the sea

Release the wave, let it wash over me

To face the fear I once believed

The tears of the dragon, for you and for me

Where I was, I had wings that couldn't fly

Where I was, I had tears I couldn't cry

My emotions frozen in an icy lake

I couldn't feel them until the ice began to break

I have no power over this, you know I'm afraid

The walls I built are crumbling

The water is moving, I'm slipping away...

I throw myself into the sea

To face the fear I once believed

Slowly I awake, slowly I rise

The walls I built are crumbling

The water is moving, I'm slipping away...

I throw (I throw)

Myself (myself)

Into the sea

To face (to face)

The fear (the fear)

I once believed

I throw (I throw)

Myself (myself)

Into the sea

To face (to face)

The fear (the fear)

I once believed

It sounds like a confession from a sea-dragon-kin who needs opening himself to get rid of depression. The "you" seems to be a reference his lost dragon self and "me" to his current human self.

That is beautiful, @kiror! I checked the song out on Youtube. I really like it! And yes, the lyrics do sound as if he could be admitting to being dragonkin.

"I dont speak human" by Omnia seems suspiciously kin related.

Then again it may just be about animal wellfare.

"I dont speak human" by Omnia seems suspiciously kin related.

Really great song! I love Omnia!

I should add Hoobastank too, mostly because "Crawling in the Dark" pretty much sums up my search for my kin type perfectly.

I always thought Owl City could be owlkin because so many of his songs reference flying and/or night in some way. Heck, it's literally in his name. I mean, it could just be for the aesthetic, but you never know.

"Right Where It Belongs" by Nine Inch Nails.

It can easily be applied in a kin context and a few of their songs have otherworldly themes.

I was listening to "My Name is Human" by Highly Suspect and ended up reading the Wikipedia article for that song...this is what I found:

Said Johnny Stevens of the song, “A lot of people think the song is about being a human. I believe some of us aren’t human at all. Or at least not completely, but that is still our name. At some point in the last couple hundred years something changed. The androids, the aliens...They aren’t coming. We are here."

That's pretty straightforward to me.

Much as I would love to imagine such a thing from even just one cut in my collection, that hasn't been the case for any musician or band I like.

Now, there's plenty of music that moves me, just not in a kin way. The movie Fantasia (1940) has conditioned me to feel something kin-like from Beethoven's 6th symphony. But, it is conditioning, due to the mythological setting in that part of the movie.

Debussy's "Afternoon of A Faun" is simple beauty, but I don't feel like he was being kin-like as part of his composition (yes, I know, it's way outside of the 'known' timeline for Otherkin, but who are we to say people weren't kin, or felt that within them, at any prior point in human history?)

There are songs, or bits of songs that make me feel kin, yet even before I knew I was Otherkin, I loved those songs for purely human reasons. So, the question then comes up: Am I feeling something for kin, or just renewed feelings I had back when I first heard the cut?

I would think "mother mother" could be kin to maybe some sort of big cat, possibly tiger. Or possibly ghost kin, I just have a feeling when I listen to his lyrics they may be more animalistic than human, but I could be wrong and he just loves animals but it is nice to speculate.

5 hours ago, Kamoe said:

I would think "mother mother" could be kin to maybe some sort of big cat, possibly tiger. Or possibly ghost kin, I just have a feeling when I listen to his lyrics they may be more animalistic than human, but I could be wrong and he just loves animals but it is nice to speculate.

I think mountain lion...based on songs like "Bit By Bit" and "The Sticks". Not sure why exactly, those songs just sound mountain lion-y to me.

23 hours ago, Fieron said:

I was listening to "My Name is Human" by Highly Suspect and ended up reading the Wikipedia article for that song...this is what I found:

That's pretty straightforward to me.

This is actually really interesting. I'm going to have to listen to that song!

2 hours ago, Fieron said:

I think mountain lion...based on songs like "Bit By Bit" and "The Sticks". Not sure why exactly, those songs just sound mountain lion-y to me.

now thinking of it, yeah that does seem correct to me now. Do you like Mother Mother?

There's "Human" by the Killers. "Are we human or are we dancer?" The big tip off is that in the video the lead singer is wearing feathers, and there's a lot of imagery of the band members being big cats. So, if they're not therians, they were at least playing with the idea. 

And speaking of playing, Depeche Mode put out an album called "Playing the Angel" and their songs often have religious references in them with a twist. 

Also on the subject of angels, SixxAM has a song called "Skin" that does sound like it was written for angelkin. 

Then there's the classic "Of Wolf and Man" by Metallica. 

I don't know if any of these bands or band members are otherkin, but they seem to be playing with the concepts.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Kamoe said:

now thinking of it, yeah that does seem correct to me now. Do you like Mother Mother?

I love Mother Mother.

And I just remembered another band that has some therian-ish imagery in a song...Hollywood Undead, the song "Lion". There's probably other songs by them with similar imagery/themes that I am forgetting.

Edited by Fieron

For some extremely emo and depressed godkin action there's "Monolith" by Mortiis. "Go away from me, I just want to flee, the god I used to be." They even perform in costume, I believe. Definitely some nonhuman gnomish or goblin action happening on the cover art there. 

Can't forget "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls! That one was also used in the City of Angels sound track. 

And I also think "Learning to Fly" by Pink Floyd halfway counts. They were talking about airplanes, but at the same time the singer identifies as someone who belongs in the air. "Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I." 

On 5/11/2017 at 11:30 PM, Fieron said:

I love Mother Mother.

And I just remembered another band that has some therian-ish imagery in a song...Hollywood Undead, the song "Lion". There's probably other songs by them with similar imagery/themes that I am forgetting.

yeah I like mother mother too. and I like Hollywood Undead and I have heard lion and it does seem to lean towards that, I feel it may explain why his songs are mostly around aggression like a big cat would

In addition to Of Wolf and Men by Metallica for wolves, there's Wolfen One by Heather Alexander. The song talks about joining as one and an inner wolf. 

Also, the band Tricky Pixie. Each of the band members also does standalone music like SJ Tucker. And a lot of their stuff, both together and individually, is 'kin-related like Creature of the Wood, Were-Owl, Girl with the Lion's Tail, etc. 

molting by Halley Labs Associates

Its very similar to what otherkin feel about themselves and their human body...maybe? :p

@Farkas know what I'm talking 'bout.

Lyrics:

i see myself in the mirror

my skin is dry

that's me somehow
i can't believe that
i won't believe that
Repeat x3

that's how it came to be
and that can never change
that will never change, no way
that's how we came to be
and that won't ever change
except when things will change
someday

@Paniczoure how do you understand a single word of what's said? The voice is so distorted that I thought there was no words until the end of the music when I searched the lyrics (and appended them to your post). I only heard a so distorted voice before when I had to use Google Hangouts while connected to an unstable WiFi hotspot, and I couldn't understand what people were saying either.