Izaya

Evolution of the dragon

I put this in science, because it doesn't quite match religion. I thought this was interesting, as to why dragons prevade human culture.

[media]

[/media]

I always thought it had something to do with dinosaur bones, which can be found all over the world. You often get long stretches of spinal column, long necks and tails, and not much to suggest the meat of the thing.

But I can also see where they're coming from with the hybridized scary creatures. The ancient Egyptians certainly did things like that. Ammit, the devourer of hearts, is a combination of crocodile, leopard, and hippo. She only eats the hearts of bad people though. No snakes there, but there were plenty of others to be found with the Uraeus, cobras that spit fire, who acted more like guards. Working with the monsters isn't as new as he thinks.

The idea of developing good eyesight as a defense against snakes is interesting.

I find this fascinating, particularly because my own kintype is a draconic amalgamation of a lion, an owl, and some sort of lizard. I know the origin of our modern word is rooted in the Greek drakein, to see clearly, or drakon, serpent. Random connection, maybe, but an interesting one.

I was so happy to watch this video! I am pretty big into evolution so I was so excited to see another very reasonable argument for the "existence" of dragons other than finding dinosaur bones. It never made sense to me because why would they make stories about dragons in their present time when all they found were old bones? I just wonder why spiders weren't involved in the dragon's looks. I have heard that we have a fear of spiders due to evolutionary past but perhaps we were far more afraid of snakes, panthers, and eagles as suggested.

This is so cool! I love evolution, biologically and culturally, so the way they connect our biological and cultural evolutions is really interesting. I'd love to see if other common myths have biological roots like that.

My dad and I were talking about this just the other day! Of course, I neglected to mention that I had been the same species as Quetzalcoatl in that/a similar culture. I also neglect to bring up Amphitheres much to my mother, since she has a severe fear of snakes.

Thank goodness for internet. Now I don't have to play Push the Heavy Boulder.

As to his theory, I think that could definitely be part of it. Perhaps it was a mix of "look at these weird big-ass bones" and "dude, you know what would be freaky? Our three main predators in one." put together. Or maybe there were even Dragonkin long ago who remembered a past life. Heck, why not. I feel a story coming on.

Thanks for the video, Izaya.

On 1/17/2017 at 5:56 PM, Izaya said:

I put this in science, because it doesn't quite match religion. I thought this was interesting, as to why dragons prevade human culture.

[media]

[/media]

wrong eye type for us dragons, we're reptiles...that's a human like eye for one. We dragons didn't evolve we made the world yet we're immortal. Sure each body is different than the last but inside, who we are remained the same

2 hours ago, DergSilverscale said:

wrong eye type for us dragons, we're reptiles...that's a human like eye for one. We dragons didn't evolve we made the world yet we're immortal. Sure each body is different than the last but inside, who we are remained the same

Not all dragons are the same exact shape, size or color. There is a lot of different diversities on it from different cultures. There is not just one true dragon species.

• High Quality 1

11 hours ago, Syan said:

Not all dragons are the same exact shape, size or color. There is a lot of different diversities on it from different cultures. There is not just one true dragon species.

I know, I never said anything about shape, color, size, or body type, I only pointed out that it isn't a reptilian eye that's on the picture, even within reptile eyes there are different ones

It does show a trouble with this kind of thing, though. When discussing the possibility of "mythical" creatures existing in our world, we have to contend with all the different variations in the mythology and such.