Forgetting you're not physically your kintype - 💬​​​​​​​ Chit Chat - Kinmunity Jump to content

Forgetting you're not physically your kintype

Idk if anyone else gets this, but I get it a lot. It may be considered mental shifts, I often completely forget about my physical form and for a brief moment, think I'm 100% physically my kintype, it's never been to a dangerous extent, but it's really nice. 

I once woke up fully convinced I was a grey physically and back on my home planet. I was very disappointed to find out I was wrong but it was still an amazing experience.
Does anyone else get this?

👽 your local alien grey ayy lmao 👽

That has actually happened to me on multiple accounts...

Most of it happens right as I wake up and don't really acknowledge my physical form and I hop off of the bed hands first and walk on all fours early in the morning usually. Also when I am really sick it throws me into a mental shift and I just...don't speak, I don't even try to remember how. My family knows to leave me alone in those times though.

Fur cold~Heart warm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arctic Wolf, Black Shuck, Harpy

I know I'm physically human, but sometimes I walk past a mirror and have to do a double take because I'm surprised that I'm not a wolf haha. 

Not really.  I'm a Vacillant Therian so I'm on more of a sliding scale between coyote and human.  I rarely shift enough to completely forget about my human side.  Though I have come close at least a couple of times.

Edited by Curious Canine

I'm surprised by my reflection fairly often.  And my height, and my general body structure.  What's odd is that I have yet to actually figure out exactly what my brain thinks I do look like as a humanoid, because it's definitely not my angelic self, but it definitely is someone taller and more wiry than me... 

Of course I know I'm physically human, but sometimes I'll see something like a ledge or some other obstacle to get over, and my first instinct is to jump and homing attack up it. Similar things happen with me wanting to roundhouse kick someone in the head, but in this body I can't do that as well 😛

Edited by ArchieAce
Added an extra word accidentally.

Zonic the Zone Cop, at your service.

ring_gif_by_1luigifan54321s-d5c3590.gif.85ac46ec054ce015cfad5084b95a031a.gif

Archie || Fleety || Xeros || Hallow || Jade || Royal || Bane || Zonic || Price || Xeno ||

I've had that happen before. Usually mid-strong mental shift or phantom shift (or mixture) and it never lasts long. But for a moment it can sometimes take my brain a moment to realize "Wait, oh, yeah, my body is like this not like that." 

Snow Leopard | Western Dragon | Rhys | Ivypool

Account shared by Ash (core/host) Arca (phoenix tulpa) and Arabella (unsettled daemon, testing Nebelung Cat form)

I get something like this when I receive comissioned art or make my own art of my bonobo self. I see it as a nice self portrait and the more I regard it the more I accept it as me. I do sort of forget what I look like so when I'm reminded I get a tidal wave of dysphoria. 

I have forgotten what I look like before when I've interacted with an ape at the zoo and copied their actions or pulled faces. I think my face is doing the same thing as theirs. 

My self perception is usually that of non-human, so when I'm not actively thinking about it, it's quite common for me to momentarily forget my human form. It rarely lasts long as the world around me and my own movements quickly throw me back into reality and I get that "Oh right, yeah, this is how I look" moment.

Velvet, Community Manager :teeheej:
If you need any help, have questions or would just like to chat please feel free to send me a message!

Kinmunity's Library | Our Staff Team | Help DocumentsSupport Requests

Oh, another thing i forgot.

I have cockatoos locally, and when they take off, I have the flocking urge to join them. I'll sometimes get to the point of lifting my arms before I remember "Oops. I'm human now."

Zonic the Zone Cop, at your service.

ring_gif_by_1luigifan54321s-d5c3590.gif.85ac46ec054ce015cfad5084b95a031a.gif

Archie || Fleety || Xeros || Hallow || Jade || Royal || Bane || Zonic || Price || Xeno ||

4 hours ago, Lopori said:

I get something like this when I receive comissioned art or make my own art of my bonobo self. I see it as a nice self portrait and the more I regard it the more I accept it as me. I do sort of forget what I look like so when I'm reminded I get a tidal wave of dysphoria. 

I have forgotten what I look like before when I've interacted with an ape at the zoo and copied their actions or pulled faces. I think my face is doing the same thing as theirs. 

If your kintype is an ape, than I'd think the issue of forgetting you're physically human would probably be a lot more prominent.  After all, humans are basically just hairless apes anyway.

Yeah...I guess I'll be boring and say this has never happened to me. I'm well aware of what I am physically at this point in time, and even my strong mental shifts don't affect that. Ha- I'll just go feral, but not because I see myself as a wolf/zhuard physically. I get dysphoria a lot but for different reasons- what I don't have/missing a certain place. I see myself as human in this life and that's what I am..Now my mind and some behaviors on the other hand...

Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted
~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

56 minutes ago, Vintage said:

I guess I'll be boring and say this has never happened to me

Same for me basically... however, that situation *might* change. The other week I was having a strong in-meditation ph-shift - which happens a lot these days - and I was absolutely convinced that my human body had a muscle at my tailbase to move around the tail. I could control and feel that muscle just like any other real muscle. After I woke up the next day, it took me some 30 minutes to realize that the muscle was not at all there 🤪

Yeah, I imagine this happens more with humanoid/human-like otherkin than with the rest of us. There have been... split-second moments where I've tried to do things that my physical body wouldn't be able to do (the momentary instinct to drop onto all fours is a common one, and one I absolutely couldn't do because I'm overweight, aha), and I've had those weird moments where I look in the mirror and feel surprised by my own reflection (which was more of an issue when I had more problems with dysphoria). But it never lasts more than a moment. I think it'd be hard to forget I'm physically human when my kintypes are all so vastly different from humans!

I guess the only other relevant experience I've had is the times I've meditated and felt an entire phantom body shift while also not feeling any of my physical body, but during those times I do remain aware that my phantom body is not my physical body and that as soon as I open my eyes, I'll see human hands and human legs and all that. So it's not quite the same.

Plus there's the times where I spirit shift and my physical body seems completely irrelevant to my existence - something I'm conscious of and can feel, but no longer feels like the limit of "me". But, again, that's not quite the same as actually forgetting I'm not physically a big stone dragonthing!

Edited by Charias

~: Eurasian wolf :|: nature spirit :|: nimravid :~

System of Rook and Akarthyx (median, co-hosts) and our dormant natural tulpa Aeolus.

I don't forget I am human, really, but I do forget that other humans can not see my phantom ears and tail. A lot of my body language utilizes my tail, so I sometimes have to adjust how I am portraying things so that others can actually understand what I'm trying to convey. Like, if I'm being playful, I have to use my tone of voice and facial expression instead of just having my tail upright with a crooked tip. And if I am grateful I actually need to verbalize it instead of giving them a slow blink! Though luckily enough for me, it does seem that most humans do understand on some level that I am portraying gratitude with my slow blinks at them.

On 2/9/2019 at 2:29 PM, Curious Canine said:

If your kintype is an ape, than I'd think the issue of forgetting you're physically human would probably be a lot more prominent.  After all, humans are basically just hairless apes anyway.

Yeah that makes sense. we do have as much hair as chimps it's just finer but that's my pedantry speaking  The body map is so similar I can go quite a while with this image of myself and still act pretty much the same. Like with the face thing, I am pulling the same face there's just some annoyingly slight differences in mouth and eyebrows etc. It's like nature is fucking with me, it's teasing me with being an ape but the wrong one. I imagine if I was something like an octopus it would take only one flick of a hand for me to come to my senses. Rather than drawing for hours and thinking it's a legit self portrait. 

• Like 2

On the cowfolk side I sometimes forget this body doesn't have a tail or movable ears, and I express with them more than I do with the rest of the body and it's strange to think that others can't see them. With fictionkin I regularly forget I don't have fangs with Webber in particular, but I don't get it with other fictotypes as much. Though in general I often forget the body doesn't have fur which can apply to multiple kintypes, sometimes I'll go outside not properly dressed for the weather because of it ʕ ˵·ᴥ·ʔ

-{Farly}(Cowfolk, Fictionkin) 

Sometimes when I wake up from a dream shift I’ll totally forget for like five minutes,,

• Like 1

I can kinda relate since my kintype doesn't have distinct facial features most of the time so when I'm half asleep or not paying attention I usually take a second to realize there isn't something stuck to my face, kind of like if you walk into a spider web but you can't pull the strands off the first few tries. Glancing in mirrors catches me off guard more often than not because it's like my brain expects black voids for eyes at the least but nope, just homo sapien squishy bits. 

I'm not sure if its a mental shift for me though since its pretty consistant. 

Sometimes I just want to make a nest like a domestic bunny sometimes does in their hutch. If I feel anxious or stressed, the easiest way to calm me down is to put a blanket over my head- the same way you calm down an anxious rabbit. Also as a person I’m quite bouncy and “nyoomy” which is pretty rabbity. A lot of the time I forget my body is human.

Guest Mika

I'm 'hearted, not kin, so apologies if I shouldn't be posting here, haha. Like others have said, I mostly get confused when I look in the mirror and have moments of "but that's not what I actually look like!" It's gotten better over the years as I've taken steps to change my appearance into something that feels more Me (not necessarily more goat-like, just more quintessentially Mika) but it still happens from time to time. Sometimes if I'm a bit loopy I start feeling like my teeth are taking up too much space in my mouth, which could be a goat thing since they only have one row of teeth, or it could just be a me-specific thing since I'm kind of creeped out by teeth in general, aheh. I've also had fleeting thoughts about how "I don't eat people food, I'm a goat" or "wait a moment... what happened to my monocular vision?!" but those are more rare.

I hardly pay attention to the looks of my physical form and I'm constantly shifted, so I always forget I'm not my 'type, but it's usually not very jarring.
There's sometimes where I get weirded out because I suddenly take note that my vision / sense of smell isn't how it should be, my teeth are too large / small and misshapen, I'm missing fur / scales or my tail / wings, stuff like that. I always get a creeping feeling that my limbs and such aren't how they should be, such as my ears being so small and so low at the side of my head, almost invisible compared to my animalistic ones.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate."

~ host Daniel {} origin Dee {} caretaker Nate {} 8D / 8B ~

pfp @Cor Tympanum on amino