alderkin

FOR DIVINEKIN: A Discussion on God, Religion, and Spirituality

For angelkin, godkin, divinekin, and other similar kin:  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in God/a god/multiple gods?

• Yes--I believe in God.
    • Yes--I believe in a god.
    • Yes--I believe in multiple gods.
    • Sort of--I believe in some sort of higher power(s), but it is not necessary God/a god/multiple gods.
    • Maybe--I am unsure of my beliefs/agnostic.
    • No--I do not believe in any gods or higher powers.
    • Other--see below.

As an agnostic/athetic angelkin, I sometimes feel alienated from other angels (especially angels on Tumblr) because many of them seem to believe in God, but I am unsure of my beliefs regarding Him. Thus, I opened this thread to allow other angels and divines to discuss their beliefs about higher powers, religion, and spirituality, and how they relate/don't relate to their kintypes.

Please answer the poll, and if you are willing and able, feel free to share and expand on your answer below! I would love to hear all of your thoughts!

(As for the rest of my system, they do not wish to share their beliefs. So any and all beliefs shared by this account on this thread are from me, the angel Auriel.)

--Auriel

Edited by alderkin

I said I do believe in multiple gods. I'd pretty much be shooting myself in the foot if I didn't. It is generally considered healthy to believe in yourself. I'm a small part of Horus/Heru that for some unknown reason incarnated here. I have suspicions about why, but never really got those confirmed. 

That said, I wasn't raised in a spiritual household at all. My Dad was a deist, as in God exists but doesn't meddle in creation at all. He was more interested in what science could prove. My Mom is agnostic, but will call herself Christian if asked in a general sort of way. I remember being in kindergarten and thinking that it was silly to believe that one guy made everything, no matter how awesome they thought he was. That part is important because I believe your childhood beliefs still hang around in the back of your mind even if you move on to something else later. Part of me will always have doubts. 

I'll go into what my skeptical side thinks about gods first. Gods are psychological in origin. They fill a role in people's lives that helps them deal with uncertainties of all kinds. Some things in life are simply out of our control. What do we do then? We pray that the dice fall in our favor. We pray that the illness isn't fatal, that the crops don't fail, and that we win the war. We have to believe that our gods are powerful enough to grant these things. We try to manipulate them through offerings, and we make excuses for them when the prayer isn't answered in our favor. Sometimes what we're looking for isn't just some divine miracle dispenser. Sometimes we're looking for companionship and guidance. Gods will fill those roles too. They whisper in our ears. What they tell us has more to do with who we are than what they are. Sometimes it's a kick in the butt to get us moving in the right direction. Sometimes they just parrot our own beliefs back at us. Whether they literally exist or not, they do fill an important role in the psyche. 

That is a pretty compelling argument, as it is based on observation. I've hung out with a lot of polytheists and seen how their relationships with deities tend to go. Even they seem to downplay the miracle side of things. Gods are not required to prove themselves, usually. And yet, they maintain belief, because once you lose that, a lot of the psychological benefits of having a god go away. 

My main argument against atheism is that it's not helpful in any way. If it is true, then what happens if I believe in it? Nothing. I've given up the advantages spirituality brings, for what? A sense of being intellectually superior? Atheists argue that a lot of bad things are done in the name of religion. Though if you look closer, people were just looking for an excuse to do the bad things they already had in mind anyway. They would have easily developed another excuse to do the same things. That said, I do keep my yardstick nearby just in case I get the urge to act on any crazy ideas. "What if it is all in my head?" 

I can't prove the unseen side of things. No one can. There are times when coincidences pile up and I can't help but wonder about them. Sometimes I get a hint that there is more to the world than what can be easily observed. If being deitykin is a fantasy, for me it's a fantasy about being part of something much larger than myself, something that cares about the state of the world, and has taken an active role in caring for it for thousands of years. And that this deity, and the world it cares for, will be around long after my death here. I will be around, watching and caring, and trying to keep it together. 

Atheism doesn't give me enough in exchange for giving that up. It's not a good trade. 

• High Quality 3

I cannot answer your poll as I'd need to select both 'I believe in a God' and 'I believe in multiple gods'.

I believe in a universal consciousness, a 'Most High', Mind of All, Source, the labels don't matter and fail in any case. It ('she' and 'he' wouldn't have much meaning) encompasses everything - we're all part of it - and exists at a scale and level beyond anything my limited human mind can even begin to grasp properly.

I believe that at higher levels abstract concepts exist, and in their dance and 'intercourse of ideas', new concepts spin out while others may not survive within the perspective of some kind of a causal arrow which may meander in and out of our own locally understood notion of 'time'.

I believe that the higher angels are connected to these abstracts and are part of them, their Purposes and Words shining with the impetus granted by those abstracts. Yet these angels also exist at medium to lower levels, coalescing into patterns from which to engage in actively directing events. They themselves may have many aspects, and when reaching closer to our level here in the physical, can gain masks or forms with which to interact with not just each other but also other energy beings at the various levels.

I believe that at a level straddling the upper abstract and lower manifestations a being whom I've come to call 'Father' exists, and many archangels worked with Him to create their Home at that level, in their attempts to fulfill the Purposes they each had within. They may even have pooled their energies together to create the 'Throne' at that level which in turn may have created the being they call 'Father'. This 'Father' being, also known to mankind as El, Elyon, Elohim, then later as JHVH etc. was able to create the lesser angels. The term 'HaShem' ('The Name') as used by Jewish Mystics seems to be applied to the 'All', with 'Elohim' being on the 'Lesser Throne'. Which has fit with my own stumbling-in-the-dark attempts at understanding wtf Spirit tries to show/tell me.

I believe that there are indeed other spiritual beings at the various levels reaching back to that Source - some of which have also donned masks with which to communicate with humanity, and in so doing those masks gained their own consciousness - as beings that straddle the layers are complicated patterns which can spin off parts of themselves as they need to, yet always are connected just the same. These other beings could be called 'gods' by humanity - just as the Lesser Throne was. Those masks are just as much individuals as I am one while sitting here typing this.

I believe that everything I said above may also be incorrect, and may just be my own primitive attempt to understand things which are far beyond the capability of my own brain matter.

I believe that religious dogma is usually bunk and has been used as a means of societal control over the ages - sometimes for good and sometimes for ill.

I believe that good stories have power, reflecting the abstract truths from above, and that asking if a story is a literal truth or not may indeed be a false question - the truths revealed in the story are true, and that's what matters. So the exploration of the stories regarding what is God, what are gods, what are angels, what is spirit, and what is man, find their value not in the specific details of recalled, intuited, or dreamed events - but in the deeper truths of the relationships that the events reveal.

As an angelic, I believe Spirit has kicked my ass into paying attention, and that I'm connected to all the typically-depicted-as-having-various-amounts-of-wings group hanging out with that Lesser Throne - and trying to guide it towards a better future. In so believing, I believe in the Purpose/Word that forms the core of my 'self' - even when my human ego has its fingers in its ears going 'lalalala this is crazy!'.

I also would echo Shezep's comments regarding Atheism. I tried to hold onto Atheism years ago - and ran right into existential crisis because it seemed to lead towards a nihilistic viewpoint on everything. In the end we choose what we think is important, what we value, and yes, what we believe in. I choose to believe some ideas are important and worth striving and fighting for - but the ideas by themselves are also irrelevant unless actively embodied and lived. It is useless to believe in Love if you don't work to bring Love actively into not just your life but the lives of those around you. Same with the ideas of Truth, Mercy, Justice, Peace, Growth, Wisdom, and Enlightenment.

To lose those is to Fall - whether one is an angel, a god, or a human being.

• High Quality 2

I believe that multiple gods exist, so I chose "Yes--I believe in multiple gods." My memories as an angel are extremely unreliable. So I may be wrong, but I believe my first existence was as an angel created by God. I see no reason why other gods cannot exist though. My personal belief is that if this universe or anything in it were created by a god, either all of it or some of it was created by multiple gods.

• High Quality 1

I'm a Christian (fallen) angel, and although I do therefore believe in God, my perception of that being is much more in line with pantheism; I view God more as the force of life and nature itself rather than an anthropomorphic vaguely characterized persona. Which has recently lead me to think of a few interesting results and complications that adds to the idea of a fallen angel. One theory of the Christian idea of hell is that it isn't so much a place of punishment as it is a separation from God; assuming, therefore, that a regular angel is inherently connected to God this leads to the following conclusion regarding fallen angels: If one is separated from the force of life, one dies. Falling is a form of death. (does that then make a fallen angel a member of the undead?)

That last bit is something I'm still reflecting on, but it's the kind of area my personal beliefs have lead me regarding the tie-in with my own identity, and the idea of Falling as death due to the disconnect from God as the force of life is also in line with how I understand the experience of Falling, which is less "getting literally kicked out and literally falling from a high place" and more "spiritual suffocation, and for an angel which is generally a being of pure spirit...that's not gonna go over well".

• High Quality 1

Not divine kin at all, but I thought it might be worth sharing my thoughts as my kin type and my own experiences especially are tied to a god. I believe that there is some higher power in this world, but I don't claim to have the slightest idea what it is. I also believe that at least some known gods (like the ancient Greek gods) exist to some extent, but either not in this world or no longer in this world. It could be that they left, or that their power no longer extends here. It could be that they are dormant aspects of whatever divine being currently exists. I don't know; my beliefs about divine beings work backwards from my beliefs about myself, so there are a lot of holes.

This is just the thing I was thinking about earlier!

I'm (fallen, I think?) angelkin, and I think I was part of the Thrones choir. When it comes to the discussion of religion, I always get very nervous, because I have this gut feeling that there was, in fact, multiple gods. It makes me nervous to think about because I feel as an angel, I should only believe in my God, and no others. I've discussed this with my friend, who knows about me being angelkin. It's a major conflict for me, being an angel. 

This is all over the place but I hope it made enough sense?

To elaborate on my answer, I technically believe all gods exist. I don't worship them all, but I know that they exist. I see deities as having a direct connection with humans. If someone, even if its just one person, believes a certain deity exists, then it does. And the more people who believe in and worship that deity, the stronger and more "real" it is. For example, the God that the Christians worship would be a very powerful god.

I believe that the afterlife is molded by a person's mind. People with a solid belief of where they are going (those that believe in heaven/hell/paradise/whatever their chosen religion dictates) will be sent there instantly upon their death. However, people who are unsure of where they are going (agnostics/atheists/etc.) will choose their own path in the afterlife.

For me personally, I know my path in the afterlife will be reincarnation. However, I don't expect that will be everyone else's paths.

I'm not sure if I'm making too much sense, but this belief is called Omnism.

• High Quality 2

On 6/16/2017 at 0:12 PM, Gay Bandaids said:

When it comes to the discussion of religion, I always get very nervous, because I have this gut feeling that there was, in fact, multiple gods. It makes me nervous to think about because I feel as an angel, I should only believe in my God, and no others.

Oh, I feel conflicted as well. Many angelkin seem to be angels of Abrahamic religion and lore, but my story is more of a tapestry of Eastern and Western mythologies. I don't even call my home "Heaven" as most others seem to--my home above is called "Paradise". It makes me feel isolated from other angelkin because I'm so far from what they believe and look like. I'm not even a winged humanoid--I'm a Chinese fox spirit, a huli-jing, who was once an angel or higher spirit of sorts. So in all, I do understand where you are coming from.

How do your beliefs differ from the ones expected of you?

--Auriel

I belief in many gods but i only pray to one. As i am myself a  minor draconian Goddess, Nevora Daughter Of Gneitch the Draconian God of time and night. With my past involving the many Greek, Roman and draconian gods and goddesses know them on a much personal level. Some would say i have a very strong and holistic view on deity's, I believe that for every god or goddess they were once a normal spirit, not depending on witch spiritual realm they reside in, threw out their id say mortal life they attained a celestial level, and became a god, and every god or goddess has a light and dark side to them Jesus and Satan, for example. The more others believe in that  deity the more powerful they are. Their are many minor deity's that are not very well known, or recorded in religious history. 

Many things are at work in the spirit realms, its only a matter on how much you pay attention to it.

~Nevora 

I have been questioning for years my dark/demonkin identity, so may I put my own two cents into the hat?

I believe that every god that has been depicted on Earth has or are existing. Now I know that each person, religion, tribe, etc. has their own way of depicting their gods, so I am not one to believe that a god is all-powerful because that god told his chosen people he is. I only worship and have a relationship with a handful of these gods: Lord Loki, Lady Aphrodite, and Lord Lucifer (he is more of a pal I get together on the weekend with than a god I go to church to worship on the weekend). 

I've played around with this idea of a God's power being determined by the strength and number of their followers, though it was in a fictional setting. But the idea does kind of make sense if you believe in ancient gods; after all, there has to be some reason they aren't as active today as they once were.

While I am sure the group energy of followers feed into the power of a deity, I see it more as a god over exaggerating their powers to their followers like saying they are all powerful.

I partly blame the all-powerful myth on the priesthood who elevate their gods so that they are also elevated by association. It's basically a political play. I think it's really annoying when they do that.  

From my own experience, theories, whatever, gods don't need offerings or followers to exist in their natural state, however, the state that humans have come to know is not the natural state. It's a mid level compromise that makes it possible to interact with this layer of existence. Energy is needed in order to act on the intermediate and lower layers. Offerings also serve as an invitation, which helps too. Repetition and enduring objects provide an anchor point allowing easier access. All of those are important for acting outside of your natural habitat. It's like how you'd need a SCUBA tank and other equipment to be effective under water, but when walking around on dry land there's no shortage of breathable air.