Thunderwing

Characters Who are Kin

Does anyone else have or know of characters who are otherkin/therians? I've realized that I've used it many times in fantasy settings, and have seen other players in my role playing groups do it to an extent as well. It's something I've done since before I heard about the concept of otherkin, and I don't know whether it's a concept familiar to these other players. I have so many I could talk about, but I'll stick to three who are less "cheaty" because they aren't born with some innate physical link to their kintype.

Wildclaw, Kagonesti Dragon Shaman, Dragonkin. Dragons may as well be myth to this feisty little wood elf. She has no draconic blood, although it's entirely possible in her world, and while she thinks she worships a dragon-goddess, she is correct in assuming that isn't the reason for her abilities. Wildclaw has the soul of a silver dragon. These manifests as behaviors and longings early on, and as she understands more about her soul, she develops mystical abilities and (because magic worlds are awesome) even physical traits based on her soul.

Moonlight, Kaldorei Hunter, Nightsaber Therian. Moonlight grew up with a very strong kinship for all of the beasts of the wild, but especially the nightsabers. She always knew she belonged among them. Hunting as a nightsaber felt incredibly natural to her, and when she was given the opportunity to live as one of them, she though she would never turn back. She now finds herself in a strange mental and spiritual inbetween, content to spend months at a time alone in the wilderness before returning to her other, more conventional home.

Malcolm, "Human" (Skeleton) Paladin, Shard of Paladine. I can't speak much for this character because he isn't mine, but he's the only deity shard example I could think of and I think he's pretty cool. This character's ability to be a paladin in the first place is probably a result of being a shard, since typically undead can't wield any of a paladin's powers. He actually had his awakening very recently which was pretty cool since I'm pretty sure his player doesn't know much, if anything, about the otherkin community. (Though I could be wrong. It's not something I've ever really asked him about.)

So yeah. Anyone else have some cool otherkin/therian-themed characters they want to talk about? :allears:

Are you talking about characters we've created that we play in settings like Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft? Or characters we think are 'kin in things like movies or TV or books?

1 hour ago, elinox said:

Are you talking about characters we've created that we play in settings like Dungeons and Dragons or World of Warcraft? Or characters we think are 'kin in things like movies or TV or books?

Both, I think! But that's just based on what Thunderwing said in their first sentence:

On 6/10/2017 at 3:37 AM, Thunderwing said:

Does anyone else have or know of characters who are otherkin/therians?

For me, all of my characters are animals or are partly-nonhuman except for one, but she's not an otherkin or therian (even though she has a wild personality).

I think the closest one to otherkin would be my OC Linji, who is an autistic kitsune. When he's in human form he can't hide his tail, so he just turns it invisible. It acts sort of like a phantom limb then, only it can't pass through solid objects. He also acts very foxlike even as a human--he speaks in sharp, yippy sentences and gets distracted by his onion toy easy. Of course, part of it stems from his autism, but it's also compounded by the fact that he doesn't see the point in suppressing his kitsune nature and forcing himself to fit in.

--Alder

• High Quality 1

*Rolls in* Don't forget about worgen and tauren. Perhaps worgen are similar to wolf therians  and werewolf kin because of their shifting and duality between the two forms, even though p-shifting is not real. I know how to write my worgen's mental shifts during an rp if the situation ever arrives for it, even though she is pretty proper and has good self control 95% of the time.

Personally, I think a nightelf nightsaber therian sounds pretty cool. Do you explain that to other players? And is the undead paladin from warcraft or another verse?

Also, animal-shifting druids. But that's pretty obvious.

Edited by Syan

@elinoxI did mean both, sorry. I just can't remember any examples outside of RP characters.

@alderkinLinji sounds cool. He definitely breaks a lot of the Kitsune tropes/stereotypes. I also mostly play non-human characters... Actually, I've only rolled characters who were human twice, both in campaigns that required it. One of them was a demigod, so I don't know if she counts.

@Syan Yup, worgen and druids are also great examples. I don't actually see a lot of worgen shapeshift though. (It's probably because my RP main is a death knight, and dead worgen don't shapeshift...)

That character was actually the first I ever made, and while I came up with her story/personality a good while ago, I only recently started roleplaying her, so it hasn't come up. I imagine Night Elves would be accepting of therians? So if it did come up, she would probably just tell people about her identity.

The Paladin is from D&D's Dragonlance campaign setting.

Nightelves, tauren, worgen and trolls would probably be accepting of therians in a spiritual sense. They are all animalistic in their own ways and have strong connections with animals. Trolls have loas and if did any of the old raids or dungeons, they can take the form of a loa and gain its powers.

On 6/17/2017 at 2:25 AM, Thunderwing said:

@elinoxI did mean both, sorry. I just can't remember any examples outside of RP characters.

Ah, okay.

For me, I always play non-human characters in my RP campaigns. It gives me a chance to act more animal-like in-game that's acceptable to those around me. My favorite characters have been my Shistavanen from Star Wars (basically a werewolf) and my original RP game character, who was a wolf shifter.

As far as characters in media being 'kin, the very best example I've ever come across is Wolf from The 10th Kingdom. :D

5 minutes ago, elinox said:

It gives me a chance to act more animal-like in-game that's acceptable to those around me.

Although I'm not a therian, I'd say that's probably one of the main reasons I like playing characters who aren't human (or elven, or dwarven...). It's more acceptable to be weird in an rpg than it is in real life.

I'd never heard of The 10th Kingdom before. It looks interesting. Probably going on my reading list ^_^

2 minutes ago, Thunderwing said:

I'd never heard of The 10th Kingdom before. It looks interesting. Probably going on my reading list ^_^

It's my absolutely favorite book and movie of all time! (First it was a TV miniseries, about 10 hours long, then the book was adapted from the screenplay.)