Gryneos

Intros and Interests

Hello fellow food enthusiasts!

I'll introduce myself as the baker in the crowd. Most times, we're the rare ones. I do like to cook, but the majority of my cookbooks are of the baking variety. I may not be able to add anything to cooking discussions involving meat, but I won't be holding y'all back from that. All cooking and baking is welcome here. We can even talk about saving food, like preserving, fermenting, and so on. If you have any expertise in anything to do with food, please join in!

• Like 1

Hi! I'm really happy to see this group!

gf introduced me to healthy food and from scratch cooking when we met two years ago. She is the primary cook and baker, and I like to help with prep, timers, and cleanup!

we have a few paler and vegan cookbooks, a family cookbook, and a better homes and gardens cookbook we use fairly regularly. We have also gotten confident enough to just throw some things together by intuition.

we mostly do roasted or sautéed veggies, sometimes with rice, as a side to a meat dish, stuffed squash, curry, or veggie casserole .Gf has a mean naan recipe and makes beautiful sweet breads. 

I'm a person who eats, who can't afford to go out all the time, therefore I cook. 

My wife is allergic to a lot of things, like chili pepper, cow milk, nuts, and bananas. My daughter is picky especially about texture. They both raise the difficulty level quite a bit when it comes to making something everyone can enjoy. About the only thing I turn my nose up at is fish, any animal without legs, really. There's also that dreaded budget. 

I'm so glad I found this group!

I love to cook. I'm big into barbecue. Give me any cut of meat and I'll cook it to perfection over a fire. I'm also a big fan of Mexican and Asian cuisines. I'm a pretty adventurous eater. The weirder the ingredients, the better. I live in the heart of my city's Asian district, which is the best for being a cook because it's really easy to get a huge variety of fresh, quality ingredients at the local Asian markets that I wouldn't be able to get anywhere else. I'm a true omnivore. I love meat as much as I love all varieties of vegetables and fruits. 

I cook almost everyday. I was homeless for a year, and I had to eat out all the time because the places I was crashing had no kitchens I could make use of. I came to really appreciate the ability to cook my own food. Eating at a fast food restaurant isn't appetizing to me anymore. When I moved into this house, I finally got a nice kitchen with a gas stove and a yard to barbecue and garden in. Tonight, I'm barbecuing chicken that's going to go into homemade fettuccine alfredo. 

One of my roommates is a culinary student, and has taught me all kinds of awesome things about cooking that have taken my food to the next level. I get to pick his brain all the time. 

I'm glad to see there are a handful of cooks on the site. I'm interested to see what you guys do with food! 

I'm glad to see interest in this club, too!

While I was learning pastry and baking in some culinary classes I took, the school didn't get enough students sign up for the primary cooking side of their program. Normally, that class would run the cafeteria, but I got roped into it with another classmate who had already taken that course. So, between the two of us and the master chef running the program, we ran a college cafeteria for a semester. Thankfully, I had taken most of my pastry classes by then, and could drop out of the program when I got a job at a Swiss bakery here. I might have remained there, too, if one particular other person hadn't essentially driven me out of it.

But that's okay. I still learned enough that I can pass on my knowledge and experience in baking and pastry here, as needed.

Hi! New to the site as a whole but I started browsing and found this group! I am a pastry chef, looking for the right job. I started from home when I was young, when I got to high school I started additional culinary classes at a vocational school, got accepted into the #3 ranked culinary college at the time, and majored in Baking and Pastry. Cake decorating is my forte'. I worked for 6 years as a pastry cook at a very large resort/hotel and really learned a lot. (even though there was a ton of BS from that job and the employer was a douche canoe). 

I've since left and am a cake decorator at a chain store, but hey, better pay. I also run a little business out of my home baking and decorating.

I'm a foodie, swoon over nice kitchens and equipment, and would LOVE to talk pastries with you all. :)

Edited by Dactyl
forgot to include a part

I'm just here for the food.

Well, okay, and the recipes to make the food with. I like to flip through cookbooks and try new recipes. As a result I've got a cheesecake that I make every year at the holidays! Well, I'll make it this year if I can find the recipe again, anyway...I seem to have lost it. :(