Naia

(ACTION REQUIRED) Major site changes

As I am sure many long time members are aware, we performed a platform migration back in April/May of this year. This changed the software that powered the site, and unfortunately led to a reduction of features in the site. We have received commentary from many users that they preferred the old site, and missed some of the features it provided. Due to feedback and concerns about sustainability, security, stability, and features of the new platform that have been brought up after months of actual use, we will be migrating platforms yet again in the near future.

We will be moving to Xenforo 2.x.x (previous site used Xenforo 1.x.x, and this site uses IPS 4.x.x) and we will remain with Xenforo for the foreseeable future. This will increase the speed, stability, and reliability of the site as well as bring back features Kinmunity users have come to know and love.

The following data will be lost when we switch platforms, so you should take manual backups.

• Clubs
  • Blog entries
  • Member Map entries
  • Calendar entries

The rest of the data should migrate over gracefully. 

You may have also noticed a lack of events on the site, including eHowls, contests, and other activities that we used to hold regularly. Additionally, site and chat activity has dropped pretty significantly. We will be addressing these issues and will begin hosting events again after the platform change. We will also take measures to ensure the site continues to evolve based on user requests and feedback. I apologize for my lack of activity as an admin, and assure you that things will improve.

Thank you for being a member of Kinmunity!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gryff said:

Oh man, I have a lot of blog posts to back up...

You'll have a couple of weeks to do so, don't worry! 

5 hours ago, Opossumblossum said:

Thank you, I never got to see the old site and I am very excited to see the differences older members love!

Yeah. Most of the members who have been around for both iterations of the site preferred the old one. Technically, this will be a "new old" site, as it'll run 2.x.x of Xenforo; but much of the layout is the same!

So the new year will bring a new site? Fitting! :-) I would ask one thing though. I access these boards through the amino app. Will I still be able to do so? If not it's no worry but it would be good to know in advance.

Thank you for all you do here. 

47 minutes ago, Pip said:

I access these boards through the amino app.

Kinmunity is not accessible via Amino. We do have a mobile app, which will be disabled after the move. The new site should be optimized to work in mobile beautifully, so an app should no longer be required. If there is sufficient demand, we may make an app for the new platform.

My apologies for the confusion, don't know why I thought the app was an amino. I will look forward to the new (to me) site and am glad to hear it will be mobile friendly :-)

I'm curious of the features that were around beforehand. I came here to the current version of the site. I don't mind about the whole blog ordeal. I have new ones to write anyway.