OtherKin Questions  - ​❓ ​​​​​​​​'Kin Q&A - Kinmunity Jump to content

OtherKin Questions 

Question

Recently, I have been studying things about otherkins. At this point in time, I am fictionkin, but I have a few questions for otherkins on the community.  I have noticed things that I tend to do that can lead to a dog otherkin, but I don’t know enough information to completely feel like it is an otherkin awakening.   When I was maybe around 9 or 10, I would play with my sisters all day pretending we were wolves, or foxes…  My mother had a few coats with a fuzzy collar around the hoodie of the parka.  We would take them off and wear them as tails, then we would pretend that we were animals or part animals all day, or even for days.  Once, I remember telling one of my sisters that I was part fox, and that I was from the mountains, in Virginia. I know that that is probably weird… but I am just trying to explain how I felt then...  it may just be odd but idk… anyway here are my questions

·         What is it like to ‘awaken?’

·         How did you figure out what creature you are?

·         Can you be fictionkin and otherkin?

·         When you are a ‘insert pack-animal’ otherkin, and not a loner, is it normal to want to be in a pack/family?

·         What otherkin are you, and what was your awakening experience?

I’m may have used turns incorrectly, sorry in advanced.  I’m still new to this… and don’t know everything yet…  

Thank you!!

From your loving Grey Wolf - Cleo/FoxChi  

1620002401_frickenadorable!(3).jpg.c47786d199ee6311f7d76fe06ad913b3.jpg

5 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, FoxChi said:

What is it like to ‘awaken?’

My first awakening was over a year ago, and I can't remember it all too well, but I do remember it being slow. It took me a while to realize I was a feathered dragon, and most of my realization was through feelings. Like, I felt really connected to dragons, but specifically feathered dragons. I found myself specifically connected to one feathered dragon, and as I began to realize why I felt so connected- It was me. 

It was kind of a long process and a sudden "A-HA!" moment at the end. It was like that for my other other-kintypes as well.

26 minutes ago, FoxChi said:

How did you figure out what creature you are?

Really it was just a LOT of thinking and research. Thinking about what creature I felt like, trying to connect phantom limbs to animals, and looking into places I remembered (like what wolves lived in what forests). Honestly, I did more thinking about how I felt than research (which is why I don't have a specific species for my wolfkin), but that's just how I did it, others might do it differently.

31 minutes ago, FoxChi said:

Can you be fictionkin and otherkin?

Absolutely! I'm both 😄 

I can't answer the 4th one, as I don't remember being part of a pack, and I already kinda answered the 5th one. 

As for my other-kintypes, I'm a feathered dragon, wolf, and spirit! (Though the wolf is more therian than otherkin)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FoxChi said:

It's a bit too long to post here in the comments but I made a very detailed post about this over on Therian Amino that you might find useful! ^-^ 

• Like 1

*♥♡∞:。.。 𝒞𝓁𝒾𝒸𝓀 𝒽𝑒𝓇𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝒹𝒶𝓃𝓀 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑒𝓈! 。.。:∞♡*♥

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 𝓟𝓵𝓮𝓪𝓼𝓮 𝓰𝓲𝓿𝓮 𝓶𝓮 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓽𝓼! *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Webp.net-resizeimage.gif.32dc7dd8c38d88247b42ca57d90aa732.gif

7 hours ago, FoxChi said:

Awakening is a very personal experience and seems to vary from person to person. For some, it is a long process that can take anywhere from months to years as they come to accept who they are. For others, it is a much more sudden and clarifying revelation in which all the puzzle pieces suddenly fit together and the bigger picture can be seen. And just about everything in between! And not everyone necessarily even has an awakening either, so there's that. For me, it was the first kind. I can trace my initial awakening to around 2009. I had experiences prior to this that I look back at and realize were most likely linked to my kintype, but it wasn't until about that year that it began to start making sense. It took me several years to fully understand what was going on, and with not finding the community until a few years later, putting a name to my experiences was hard and left me to try and repress it all (to no avail). I imagine if I knew about otherkin at the time, things would have been easier, perhaps a quicker process, however. 

Questioning. Lots and lots of questioning myself. I looked at experiences I had and was having, then looked into narrowing down the possibilities based on phantom shifts, mental shifts, anything that felt non-human in origin that I did. I made mistakes, especially early on, it happens, it's pretty common! I thought at first I was a tiger, even a striped hyena. Neither of those were accurate, but it was part of the process for me. Looking into these avenues and finding out they didn't quite fit, it helped all the more when I found my kintypes, because when it fit, it truly fit. Fictionkin-wise, it was a somewhat similar thing, although my awakening and subsequent conclusion came a fair bit later. 

Most definitely! I am, and I'm sure there are plenty of others around here too! Polykin are quite common.

When you are a ‘insert pack-animal’ otherkin, and not a loner, is it normal to want to be in a pack/family?

I'd say that's normal! It makes sense for people who identify as a social species to have instincts to want to seek out a group, be it in the form of a pack or otherwise. Even those with solitary kintypes might feel that way too though, so it isn't 100% exclusive. Someone who is a wolf might not generally be a fan of social contact, someone who identifies as a tiger contrarily might love to be around other people. After all, as biological humans we are, at least physically, part of a social species.

I'm personally quite the introvert and very selectively social. As a snow leopard and dragon, I'm far more solitary than social. And as Ivypool, well, I suppose I could consider myself selectively social, what with being part of Clan society and all. That might account for my social habits and preferences, of course, but it could just as easy be coincidence, I'm honestly not too sure! 

What otherkin are you, and what was your awakening experience?

My kintypes are listed in my signature and I went into a bit of detail above about my awakening ^^

• Like 2

Snow Leopard | Western Dragon | Ivypool | Rhys

Account shared by Ash (core/host) Arca (phoenix tulpa) and Arabella (Nebelung Cat daemon)

Well, it's different for everyone. Often completely different. Mine was very drawn out - took at least two years - and culminated in the simple realisation that I was, for some reason, not entirely human in my mind. This was before I'd ever encountered otherkin, so I was... kinda scared and confused, thought I was going "crazy", but also... relieved. A lot of things clicked into place in that moment. So it seemed like everything finally made sense, but also made no sense at all.

The classic research, meditation, self-reflection and scepticism combo. My first awakening was kinda intense. I had a lot of dream shifts during my late-awakening, and started to have some past life memories leaking through - so a lot of figuring myself out was looking at what happened during those experiences and measuring it against known animals and their behaviours. When I found out what I experienced was not only accurate for a grey wolf (despite me not knowing anything beforehand) but also matched up perfectly with a particular species...? It was kinda hard to doubt it. I did flop for a little while between being a tundra wolf or Eurasian wolf before I encountered a particular sub-population of Eurasian wolves which match my fur colour. 

Nimravid's a much more recent discovery, though I've had experiences associated with it for as long as I've had wolf shifts. I wrote a lot about it while I was figuring things out (in particular, here's a blog post and I made a series of posts related to my questioning over here in the daily thought thread). I used to think I was an Amur leopard, but things just... didn't add up for me. I'm glad I decided to investigate further!

Yeah, of course!

When you are a ‘insert pack-animal’ otherkin, and not a loner, is it normal to want to be in a pack/family?

I mean, it's normal for a human being to want to have a family, whether or not they're blood-related. I used to feel like I wanted a pack, but now I realise that was just me being a lonely teenager - it was nothing to do with me being a wolf. You don't need a group of otherkin to hang out with; you just need friends who'll accept you for who you are, non-human quirks and all!

Already touched on this, but: I'm a Eurasian wolf, nimravid and a nature spirit (though that last one felt less relevant here since it's not a "creature" and. Is just really weird and non-typical for a kintype). My wolf awakening was long, but pretty straightforward - I started having shifts, predominantly mental and dream shifts, which over time increased in intensity until I realised there was something more to it. Nimravid awakening was... I dunno, I guess it felt harder to pin down what my experiences actually meant since I don't exactly shift as a nimravid in the way I do as a wolf. I think it's more like a contheriotype? And there was definitely a lot more research to be done with this, because the only lead I had to go on was "feline-ish thing with kinda sabre teeth??" (which, it turns out, there are a lot of). Plus there was more of a worry about bias because I just didn't have many solid experiences to work with. A lot of it had potential to be misinterpretations or random cameos. But I'm pretty happy with where I am now regarding this. Nimravid feels right in a way leopard never really did. Nature spirit awakening was a trainwreck involving a lot of denial, confusion, fear and existential crises. I was never a spiritual person, so awakening as a spirit being was tough. I'm still trying to piece the puzzle together, but I don't think I'll ever fully understand it.

• Like 1

~: Eurasian wolf :|: nature spirit :|: nimravid :~

System of Rook and Akarthyx (median, co-hosts) and our natural tulpa/fictive Aeolus.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:52 AM, FoxChi said:

As others have said, awakening is a very personal experience. The general consensus is it's gradual, that is takes time and effort, which I agree with. For many, it's a spiritual process and takes a lot of spiritual introspection, like meditation... But I have a more psychological approach to my kinnity and other connections. The first step was feeling and recognizing a shift - harder when you didn't even know what otherkinnity is - OR feeling you identify as/with something other than yourself. For me, it was the fjord horses from Frozen. I'm not sure why, but I clicked, which I found odd since I never cared so much for horses before. Then comes the introspection... I looked at myself and my experiences, my shifts, and slowly came to define my experiences as a 'kinnection to a fjord horse. In a way, I suppose I'm still awakening, since I'm back to questioning if I should define him as a soulbond or a kintype...

So, that's my more psychological approach. I think - perhaps - the initial, actual AWAKENING part is sudden and quick, but coming to terms with, defining the experience, and solidifying the connection is slower.

As mentioned above, I resonated with the fjord horses in Frozen. That inspired me to look into therianthropy, and I realized I had even having and was having shifts with/as a fjord horse. 

As I understand it, fictionkin is under the umbrella as otherkin, but... Yeah. You can simultaneously have fictional kintypes and nonfictional kintypes.

I'll only speak for myself here... As a human, being in a group with similar kintypes (horse in my case) would feel nice, just so I have some folk who I share similar experiences with, and I think being around them IRL may be a really shifty and fun experience, but outside of that... No, I don't really care to be in a pack/herd/family. I do not long for a group. I feel I'm quite fine being a solo pony.

I believe I only have one kinnection, but I am also otherhearted, have c'links and synpaths, and headmates. It's a jolly mess. I won't go into all of thier awakenings here because there's a lot, and I don't define them as kintypes.

• Like 1