LinRae

Is the color blue Real?

I'd have to say it is real, like many unseen colors that animals see, just because we can't directly see it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist.

Indeed, what @Nyht Myst says is true, some snakes see into the infra-red for instance, percieving reds much darker than we can and thus seeing the heat of their prey. Not sure how many animals can see into the UV since so much blocks UV light so easily, like the atmosphere itself, a simple pane of glass while transperent to our visual wave lengths completely blocks UV, presumably if they could however they'd see well past indigo and into higher violet colours.

Of course the one animal that comes to mind and blows our vision out of the water, no pun intended given its aquatic is this little guy. Mantis shrimp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, that was a fascinating article, thanks for sharing!

This is actually something I've wondered about in the past, not for the same reasons as in the article (that was all new information for me), but because the colour blue never appears in my dreams or memories. In my dreams and memories objects that would usually be blue (the sky, a particular item of clothing, water, etc.) will appear either black, purple, or green.

But, despite this, I have to agree with the others about blue actually existing. I don't know why blue only exists for me when I'm looking directly at it, but just because I'm no longer seeing it doesn't mean it ceases to exist.

Wow, that was a fascinating article, thanks for sharing!

This is actually something I've wondered about in the past, not for the same reasons as in the article (that was all new information for me), but because the colour blue never appears in my dreams or memories. In my dreams and memories objects that would usually be blue (the sky, a particular item of clothing, water, etc.) will appear either black, purple, or green.

But, despite this, I have to agree with the others about blue actually existing. I don't know why blue only exists for me when I'm looking directly at it, but just because I'm no longer seeing it doesn't mean it ceases to exist.

Something to thing about is like you mentioned blue not being present until a certain point and @Jodi saying yellow is an illusion for us, right now most of us can't truely perceive yellow except as a combination of cones working together but there are starting to be more and more people with an extra cone that can truely see yellow like bees. Our eyes may still be evolving very slowly, a new cone showing up in our eyes is ground breaking, and for right now it seems limited to females.

@Nyht Myst , yellow bees? Like, entirely yellow or like yellow jackets, that are black and yellow stripes? I see the yellow jackets, but have never seen an entirely yellow bee before.

I need to be a little more careful with how I speak :oops:, but bees also see true yellow and I was meaning 'like bees' in the people with the extra cone can see true yellow just like bees.

*facepalm*

Have you ever heard of indego? It was a substance used to dye clothing, paint, etc. Mostly now its synthesized, but early on, it had to be made from woad, or indegofora, two plants that can produce a blue pigment. Their earliest uses trace back to as early as 3300BC, during the time of the bronze age Indus Valley Civilization (3300 -1300 BC), also known as the Harappan civilization (which was located in what we know call Packistand and india, far removed from egypt, and africa altogether). Linrae, I question the accuracy of your sources. 3300 BC is certainly not "modern". The color blue was definitely of a visible spectrum to human eyes, otherwise it wouldn't have become the commodity it was at that time period.

Giving something a name is what has happened through the years of evolution. so, if you REALLY think about it if it didn't have a NAME yes, it would be a REAL thing only not recognized in a verbal manor. however it is a color we have named as "blue" for all we know in another dimension it could would be called "metallic" or "green" or"bffvjbvgvjbv" but yes, once something is identified as that particular thing, it is quite real. We do not evolve to make things up, we evolve to establish the identity of things and I believe that's why most are so obsessed with identification of themselves and colors in the first place.