Lost

A "Newkin" Forum

Lost    12

Not like an "I'm new to this forum" forum, but an "I'm new to being otherkin" forum. Kind of like an area for kin who'd just recently awakened (anywhere from a few days ago to maybe a year ago). It could be a place for "newkin" to talk among themselves about their experiences, what caused them to awaken, etc. in a sort of "I'm still figuring this out and you are too" sort of way that might make it seem less intimidating than other parts of the forum.

I think it might be a good idea, especially considering the influx of newkin.

What do you think?

Farkas    208

I like the idea, it gives them a place to understand what otherkin actually is, and if the term applies to them. Backer #1 :D

Attaia    5

I definitely support this. Perhaps have a group of members act as volunteer "Mentors" or similar to frequent it and actively help out in that area?

Lost    12
I definitely support this. Perhaps have a group of members act as volunteer "Mentors" or similar to frequent it and actively help out in that area?

Yeah, I was thinking that, too!!

Farkas    208

That's a really good addition. I would volunteer if I felt like I would be able to help out :D

PinkTitanium    14

I think it would be a great idea as well. Almost like a "buffering zone" before having to answer a thousand questions they were probably hoping WE knew the answer to. So that new-kin, especially the younger ones, aren't immediately not taken seriously and are scared away and end up actually being legit with nowhere to go and no one to help.

Magic    97

I know some friends of mine were thinking of creating a group on facebook where new 'kin join, get mentors, and can be trained/taught about otherkinity, and how to properly find their kintype(s), etc.

Shiro    434

This is a great idea. We can use the Elders as mentors, and I can suggest some members apply for manual approval without doing the article bit. Sound good?

Zen'akufuni    35
I think it would be a great idea as well. Almost like a "buffering zone" before having to answer a thousand questions they were probably hoping WE knew the answer to. So that new-kin, especially the younger ones, aren't immediately not taken seriously and are scared away and end up actually being legit with nowhere to go and no one to help.

Agreed. I notice that a lot of the new kin simply don't know how to explain their experiences well, or they may be afraid to mention them up front, out of fear that it may cause them to look foolish. So, they end up posting a one sentence intro, which means we have to drag information out of them, with some people doubting them entirely, only for us to eventually discover that they have experienced actual kin phenomenon. This causes stress for everyone involved. Perhaps the new forum could also teach them how to properly explain themselves in intro threads and otherwise.

Shiro    434

This has been implemented. Currently, only users with Elder status can reply to these threads in order to prevent misinformation from being spread. I will grant this status manually to a limited number of users in the community, and the rest can apply or be eligible for automatic promotion when requirements are met. Thank you.